Crepe Mrtyles

When is the best time to prune these back? I have 3 which are in the dormant stage right now and will soon be budding out.
Cindy Zone 6-7
Cindy these are usually very late to bud out, so anytime after last frost and before they leaf out is fine. Please don't decapitate them (Crape Murder).
-- David J. Bockman, Fairfax, VA (USDA Hardiness Zone 7) email: snipped-for-privacy@beyondgardening.com http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

Our neighbor murders his, and we do not trim ours. Ours come out a bit earlier and bloom just as much if not more as the murdered ones do. Jackie, zone 7

Not to mention the beautiful muscles in the trunk which does not ordinarily develop when they are cobbed.

Cindy wrote:

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/nursery/430-460/430-460.html
--
ASC: Born to Herf '05: http://www.geocities.com/borntoherf/sponsors.htm