Creating dead zone around AC unit

Page 1 of 2
My central air conditioning unit is located in a spot where the eaves are so deep that even after lots of rain, it's still bone dry, but bindweed finds the area delightful and it's eating my air conditioner. I thought of covering the whole area with plastic and then a few inches of stones right up to the foundation, but I have another concern. In winter, it's not uncommon for several feet of snow to drift into that corner. When it melts, I'm not sure I want that much water ponding in the plastic and overflowing along the edges near the cinder block. The basement's always been dry, but still, something about the plastic idea seems iffy. So, some sort of landscape fabric seems like a better option.
Regardless of the material on top, I'm thinking of edging it with Trex buried with just enough above ground to contain 2-3 inches of stones.
Comments?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Agent Orange or the current commercial equivalent?
Lou

I avoid weed killers, since so many animals use my yard as a dinner table, but I might make an exception in this instance because once the area is covered, nothing will be eating there unless there's a type of animal which eats stones the size of ping pong balls.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

And if there is you might hope the bad stuff gets it:-))

what IS the current commerical equiv that you can buy at Lowe's?
On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 17:09:44 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

2-4-D is still available, at least in Oregon. It was a component of Agent Orange, along with 2-4-5-TP, if memory serves.
There are some other weed killers which proport to have an extended effect for up to a year.
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Tractor hydraulic fluid, and "purple" degreaser come to mind...
On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 16:20:26 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

How about just grading the area so that water runs off the plastic rather than ponding. Direct it away from the house.
If you wanted to get fancy, install a french drain system.

A course or three of paver blocks is a zillion times better than spending your life cussing small stones.
brooklyn1 wrote:

Landscaping fabric allows water to go through and inhibits weed growth. It can be put under a layer of gravel instead of plastic.
Art Todesco wrote:

Why not a precast concrete or recycled pop bottle AC pad, tilted slightly away from the house to prevent ponding? They come in several sizes, and can pretty easily be slipped under the AC unit without disconnecting it. May need a few shims under the coil box to keep it level, but that is easy enough. If there is slack in the cables and hoses, also a good idea to raise the box up a few inches.
-- aem sends...

That's what I have, one of those cast fiberglass like pads, I always thought that was the manditory default, had one at my last house too. I'm sure it would require a few strong backs to insert a pad after the fact:
http://i39.tinypic.com/m75dhc.jpg

I've got the same type of pad, but still, I'd like a barren area for a foot or two around the thing.

Then I think the patio pavers would be the best solution. I just string trim, would still need to edge around patio blocks or anything else, but I've no idea if you have lawn. I'd choose most anything before small stones... a plastic edging filled with pine bark nuggets like I have prevents weeds (I have barrier cloth under the nuggets). I had to install the fence as that is the third shrub, deer got the previous two... nothing else works other than fencing.
Originally I had no fence, a week later I had no shrub, that little cyprus is long gone:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2pzf8yd.jpg
You can use 6X6 landscape ties too... one morning I woke up to shrubs munched down to nubs, so that's why I now have fence all around:
http://i44.tinypic.com/119qjya.jpg
Once the shrubs grow and the galvanized wire fencing dulls it's not very noticeable:
http://i43.tinypic.com/zsscw1.jpg
I learned long ago not to skimp on landscaping lumber/materials, I hate do overs.
I spent a fortune on every deer repellant on the market, spent many, many hours spraying, even in fridgid winter weather, and then having to wash the stink off my clothes and myself... all to no avail... only a fence works.

whose that pussy in the window?
"skeeter" wrote

Finally someone perceptive. That's The Jilly, the world's only MENSA cat:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2j28col.jpg

That's an interesting idea. Could be disassembled like Legos if necessary, too.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

You are right about the plastic being a bad idea. We have landscape fabric, available in different strengths, with river rock on top and used in similar areas where nothing grows. We have Trex on our finger dock, about 7 years old. Full sun, all day, Florida. Concrete pavers or black vinyl lawn edging work nicely around the rock and contain it well.

We killed a law area once with newspaper. Thick layer, hold down with rocks. I have to do something like you want in the corner where our AC is.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Have heard that one before and it works.