Crazy flies buzzing & biting

Hello,
I suppose this is a strech, but I was hoping to ID a particularly nasty fly that matures this time of year around nw NJ / Poconos. It is a fairly slow fly, meaning it cannot run rings around your hand as you try to swat it. However, when it lands on skin, the bite is especially vicious....it can even bleed. The only advantage is it takes a few seconds from landing to biting, so usually there's enough time to swat & kill it. It is slow enough that swatting usually gets it, otherwise they buzz around your head several times before attempting to land again.
These flies have been major pains for years now. The eyes are a orange-like color, and the size is the size of a normal house fly, about a quarter-inch. Dragonflies particularly relish them as food....I had one buzzing around my dog's head while we walked on the road....a dragonfly came and scooped it up, right out of the air.
Dan
I grew-up in the Poconos and we called them "Horse Flys." They are nasty.
if they look like a stealth bomber (triangle) and have stripes they are deer flies. people here put a round of duct tape on their hats to catch them. Ingrid
snipped-for-privacy@adsfgh.com (dstvns) wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 18:17:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

They have these crazy, swirled-like eyes...something almost out of the 60s. They eyes are orange color with black swirls.. Just had two bite me yesterday, I think they also have black and dirty-yellow stripes on the abdomen.
Dan
Figmo wrote:

i don't know, but i'm glad he did, cuz one bit me on the toe last week and it still hurts!
know thine enemy, L.