Crape myrtle location

I would love to get this and grow it in a barrel if necessary. My back yard only gets moring sun. would that be sufficient for it to bloom?

Reply to
Wishy13764

According to a website "They require full sun and a moist, well drained soil that is supplemented with peat moss or compost."

But, being that it is one of your smaller trees, I think it could survive on only partial sunlight.

Reply to
DavidPT40

It would help alot to know where you are located, as crape myrtle hardiness is not universal. And they need full sun and hot summers to bloom well in areas where they ARE hardy. Full sun is at least 6 hours, 8 is better.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Depends on the climate zone. But in general, in suitable locations, it will probably bloom, but not much, if it gets only morning sun. Also, most cultivars of crape myrtle are susceptible to powdery mildew, which is much worse where they don't get full sun.

Many plants that are listed as "full sun" do well in part shade or part sun in (say) U.S. zone 8. Crape myrtle is not one of them.

Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike Prager