Craftsman Lawn Tractor Billows White smoke

I have a Craftsman 20 horse tractor that I bought new in 2004. It will billow white smoke from the exhaust from time to time. It happens most often when I am traversing an incline.

I have run it 3 times this season and changed the oil at the beginning of the season and gave it fresh gas

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas

Reply to
Pembroke_in_VT

The only time I saw an air cooled lawn tractor blow white smoke is when the river flooded and it had been underwater (gray oil is a sign of moisture).

White smoke that dissipates is steam (moisture or bad head gasket in water cooled motor). Blue smoke that hangs around is oil. So maybe you really mean blue smoke, which could happen if the engine is not designed to operate at that angle or piston(s) start slapping the oil.

Reply to
David Efflandt