Crabgrass?

I have grass-like weed growing rampantly in a damp and shaded part of my lawn (in Northern California). It spreads via runners up to 3ft long or more. Here are some pics of bits I pulled up:
http://www.malch.com/DSC_4781.jpg
http://www.malch.com/DSC_4782.jpg
The infected area is just a few square yards but I've pulled armfulls of this stuff over the past few weeks.
Can anyone help me identify this? Is it some variety of crabgrass?
Suggested treatments to eradicate the problem? Am I correct in thinking that intensive treatment should be administered in the early spring?
TIA
I used to live in zone 7, and the man who got on the TV once a week and answered questions about gardening, said early in the year, before the grass starts coming back, the crabgrass will sprout. It comes from seeds only, as the plant is an annual. You can either put down a pre-emergent before the seeds sprout, or use Roundup after they sprout, but before the grass greens up (that sounds a little dangerous if you miss, and you might have a 3 to 10 day period between the two events). If your effected area is small, maybe you could use roundup on it and then replant later.
Dwayne
Gary Player. |

Tia, It looks like crab grass to me because it's the same in nature as mine but, it's a different variety then we've got here in Colorado. Good luck, you're going to need it. I battled with crabgrass and with it's runners for many years. There's all kinds of chemical treatments you can use (scott's treatments etc) but, there are only two ways I know to get rid of it in a non-toxic way is to remove it manually. I dug it up and used a hand cultivator to go through and pull out the runners (but I still have to maintain it constantly). Another suggestion I read in an organic gardening book was to cover it up for over two years with thick plastic and smother it. But for us gardeners it hardly an option to give up precious space to black thick plastic even if it's covered in mulch. The stuff is nasty and completely invasive. Let me know what works for you when you figure out what you're going to do.
Lee
On Nov 14, 1:56 pm, snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

That doesn't look like crabgrass to me- more like a wild ass stretch of St. Augustine or Bermuda gone nuts. But wait for someone who knows.... or ask your county cooperative extension agent <VBG>
--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

I do think you may have scored a bullseye with St Augustine.
It is growing in a area that is very shaded and very damp (actually, it gets pretty soggy right in that spot). I think that environment is perfect for St Augustine and not suitable for crabgrass.
I can have another shot at adjusting my irrigation to prevent the excessive moisture. However, my previous attempts have been a complete failure. I should reconsider the possibility of a severe drainage problem in that spot or even an underground leak in the irrigation system and/or even the main water supply which runs through that area.
Hmmm, 3 out of my 4 irrigation zones have pipes in that vincinity and the main city supply runs through there too. Methinks I have a leak!
Malcolm Hoar wrote:

Sounds like you're lucky enough to have a small leak. Last person that posted with a leek had a $4-500 water bill. Lived in FL with sandy soil, no water signs.
If I might hijack your thread for a moment. Killing off Crabgrass, beyond using a preemergent can it be spot killed with a torch while young and well before it seeds?
It's the only thing in my "yard" that I want to destroy. Then I can seed my clover in.. ;)

Yeah, that happened to a friend of mine. The leak was probably caused by some construction work on the neighboring property. Fortunately, the neighbor generously paid for the repairs and made a significant contribution to his water bill.
Anyway, my little crabgrass (or St Augustine) problem has just tumbled down my list of priorities since some bast**d stole my car a few hours ago :-(
I'll get back to the lawn, eventually!

ROTFL. I needed a little humor on this crappy day!
snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

You are very fortunate to have such a neighbor ! I guess you have city water which does not provide the warning us well folks get as "Why is the pump running?
Bastard is the proper spelling.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Same here. I can easily spot crabgrass--that's how I keep it out. I thought Bermuda grass. Identification is most easy if you can get a sample of the flowering tassel.

Some interesting alternatives to controlling crabgrass, St. Augustine or Bermuda grass can be found at weedtwister.com/ weed_twister_vs_crabgrass.htm. It's all about efficient tools...
Best of luck!
__________________________ At peace with weeds!