crabapple disease?

Hi, I've been getting some sort of white fluffy stuff coming out of buds on a crabapple sapling. They keep coming even after I clean them off. Is it a disease? How should I treat it?
See
http://alcor.concordia.ca/~guoro_ch/apple.jpg for a picture.
Thanks.
-- No e-mail. Please post replies.
_ wrote:

Your tree has Malus Pythium, a contagious disease of many apple trees. It it like the HIV of the plant world. There is no chemical or biological cure.
The only way to save the tree is to remove all buds with pruning shears. Be sure to dip the shears in full strength bleach between cuts, each and every time! Be sure to burn all buds that you remove, and wear rubber gloves and burn them when you are done.
Continue to remove any buds that appear for two full seasons. After that let the tree resume normal growth.

No sense causing air pollution. Dump them in the garbage can.
Jim Lewis - snipped-for-privacy@nettally.com - Tallahassee, FL - Only where people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.
Jim Lewis wrote:

The spores of Malus Pythium are so contagious that it is necessary to burn or sterilize and detritus or tools having had contact with them.
If you had cattle brains or spinal cord from a cow with Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (Mad Cow) you wouldn't just toss it in the trash, would you? Of course not, you would burn it. Remember, Malus Pythium is the HIV of the plant world. There is no cure for it.
- Tallahassee, FL - Only where

Your information is confusing. "Malus" is the genus name for crabapple, as in Malus somethingus. Pythium is the genus name for the pathogen (is it a fungus?), as in Pythium somethingelseii.
Rebecca
Rebecca wrote:

Yeah, it's got a proper name, it starts with Pythium, but I don't remember the second part.
We had an outbreak here in east-central Virginia last year and the county agent told us what it was, but everybody calls it something different. It goes by Malus Pythium, Crabapple Pythium, Crabapple Take-All, Bud Ooze, Dead-Bud and a whole host of other weird local names.
It's kind of like the hollies in the school yard across the street. Different people call them Japanese hollies, helleri hollies, ilex crenata helleri", and a whole host of other names, but we are all referring to the same bushes.
- Tallahassee, FL - Only where

as
The information is confusing because it is bunk - this person is a troll. There is no disease called "malus pythium". Pythium is a root rot, aka "damping off" fungus and affect seedlings not full grown plants.
This looks most like an insect problem of some sort, perhaps a form of cottony scale. Spraying with horticultural oil or insecticidal soap may be effective, but it is best if you have the problem ID'd correctly, not by a bunch of yahoos on a newsgroup with too much time on their hands and winter boredom. Take a sample branch to your local extension agent. They will be able to provide an accurate diagnosis and suggest proper controls.
pam - gardengal
Pam - gardengal wrote:

My point exactly. Believe NOTHING you read here, no matter who writes it.

Actually that isn't true. Anyone with brains can pretty much figure out who should be listened to and who shouldn't be listened too, it just takes a few days of reading.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Sure there are certainly some people who generally have good information, but nobody's perfect.
To bumpass: If you want to believe nothing you read here, why bother reading?
More clearly, should a) you beileve the opposite of what you read here or b) believe only what you haven't in particular read here.

But why would you burn it? It's a well-known fact that the prions that cause mad cow can't be destroyed by burning. I wonder if trolls can be dealt with that way.........
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Tolkien trolls are susceptible to sunlight. Maybe you can get rid of newsgroup trolls by dragging them outside ... unless they have boots of wireless networking or some such.

Bullshit, cooking won't destroy prions burning will.
snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com (Beecrofter) expounded:

Bullshit yourself. Burning doesn't destroy them.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com expounded:

Ingrid, I heard that they couldn't be destroyed by heat, at least the heat generated by a wood fed fire. I know cooking doesn't destroy them.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

http://w3.aces.uiuc.edu/AnSci/BSE/Prion_general.htm Prions remain infective after sterilizing levels of radiation, formalin exposure, extremes of pH, non-polar organic solvents, burying for years, passing through 0.1 m filters (2.2 m filters remove bacteria) and cremation at 343C (Marsh, 1991 ) or 360C
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/jul99/931749435.Ch.r.html Re: What is the temperature of a normal wood fire? ... can range from wood to plasics, to hydrocarbons such as gasoline, temperatures could range from 800 to 900 degrees farenheit for wood, 800 to 1300 degrees farenheit for plastics and ,perhaps the most dangerous and most
800 F ~= 426 C 342 C ~= 650 F
Inconclusive :-(
Somebody got a better temperature?
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/news_and_events/pressrelease_prion_infectivity_050503.htm?type=archived http://www.wr2.net/process/efficacy.htm * Therefore, surgical instruments that have been in contact with tonsils, the spleen, lymph nodes, as well as tissues of the central nervous system and the eye of those with nvCJD are potentially infectious, even after sterilization by any conventionally used sterilization method. * Clearly the most effective way to inactivate all prions in tests has been to expose them to sodium hydroxide at elevated temperatures. Boiling in a 1M solution for 60 seconds completely inactivated all prions in one study, and 15 minutes in another study.
.. plain old cooking is not hot enough. Ingrid
You wrote:

How is it like HIV? Does that mean it's sexually transmitted? If so, wouldn't it be more appropriate to say that the crabapple has the crabs? And if so, is it really a disease? Aren't crabapples supposed to have something crabby about them?
bbrrr it's cold outside.
yaaaa-hoooooooooooo