crab apple?

I just bought a house which has an apple tree in the backyard. I'm told it is a crab apple tree. Right now the apple's are about the size of my thumb and are red. You can see a picture here:
http://homepage.mac.com/davecalhoun//misc/apple.jpg
I have several questions: 1. Is this really crab apples? 2. When will they be ready to pick? 3. Can I use them to make apple cider? 4. How big should they get?
Thanks for any info.
Dave

Yup
When they come off easily.

Nope...unless tart is your desire.

Crab apple jelly ?

Bill who has a hanging crab apple with double flowers hence no fruit.
--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade