Couple of tree questons

How come it takes more than one season for a transplanted pecan sapling to establish itself, and start producing stems/leaves of any appreciable amount?

How come among the many ligustrums I planted, the ones furtherest from tree and other natural cover are being eaten by white-tailed deer/ ones in the vincity of such cover aren't bothered?

Reply to
Dioclese

Energy management?

Could it be predisposition of some sort? A long time question of mine. If you find out please let me know.

John

Reply to
symplastless

It takes at least one, if not more, seasons to reestablish a root system to promote full and health growth. Plus the damage done in the transplanting needs to be off set.

Possibly a self defense mechanism, less cover for preditors to hide in and attack from.

Reply to
D. Staples

Pecan's take a while to establish their tap root. It pretty much takes most of the trees energy to do this.

Deer are forbes eaters and will eat anything when hungry. The plants they aren't eating may have spray from cats or other animals on them which will deterr them. Many factors.

Reply to
Jangchub

J.C., you have an apostrophe where none is needed in "pecan's", but don't have one where it IS needed, in "trees [energy]".

Deter - one "r".

Many factors.

What is a "forbes eater"? I couldn't find it via search engine. Do you perchance mean "forage"? Honest question.

If you are not a native speaker, excuse entire message.

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

Healthy

growth. Plus the damage done in the transplanting

from

Vicinity

PredAtors.

(stop me before I strike again... heellllp!)

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

will u now edit all my post's, oops, posts? thanx, but no thanx. I spelled forbs incorrectly. wot is ur pernt? have nothing to do!"?*$

Reply to
Jangchub

U donot kneed help, you kneed a slap.

Reply to
Jangchub

I honestly never heard of "forbes" before, and just wanted to learn something new that would be useful in the garden. Now that you've given the correct pronunciation, I have looked it up and learned something new.

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

...after you corrected my spelling. thanx. my new mission in life is to be grammer and splling incorrect in every powst. If you couldn't find out what a forb was during a search for deer/forbes, you are full of crap. I don't like what you did. I didn't give you correct pronunciation. I gave you the correct spelling. They are both pronounced the same way. I'm done here.

Reply to
Jangchub

Correct this one, stick it where the sun don't shine, buttercup.

Reply to
D. Staples

There is nothing worse than someone who corrects spelling or grammatical errors online. It's useless and a waste of time. I agree. Persephone should stick it.

Reply to
Jangchub

I rarely indulge, but when I do, it's oddly auto-therapeutic.

Incidentally, always generates roughly the same response. This one is relatively civilized, but then so is this blessed NG.

P.

Persephone

Persephone

I agree that words are important. If you cannot get the spelling correctly, how would they expect us to understand what they are saying? They really do not care about being misunderstood. Maybe that is from a lack of understanding?

I respect your post and your points. Please visit

and if you happen to find - "misspelled" words - please let me know and when I hear from you I will make corrections. You can post them to the list for the whole world to criticize or just in email viewed in the special room of the Bush Administration, where they monitor our emails. Thank you. My worry is being misunderstood, a great deal more than any criticism.

Reply to
symplastless

Well, maybe...Actually I think it is a radical change in values over the last few decades. People used to admire and value clear, eloquent speech and correct spelling/grammar. But those same folks are now routinely castigated, [especially if they go briefly snap enough to post corrections on an unrelated NG ]

Note that it's not entirely the fault of the castigators. Most do not know any better, and don't want to know.

They may have been formed in homes where good language is not prized, and certainly in schools which all too often toady to the "self-esteem" PC teaching philosophy which doesn't demand study and performance; doesn't imbue in the learner the idea that "good enough" is NOT good enough; instead have to settle for "anything goes" as long as the student doesn't drop out and lose them the ADA (average daily attendance) money. Caring teachers must go quietly mad, considering what they have to deal with.

Note that the same people who don't care about good writing -- about the difference between correct and incorrect grammar -- in fact can get quite ugly about it if pointed out -- would object furiously if somone suggested that a metric tool is just as good as a US tool on a car engine. He (usually) cares passionately about the difference in performance of Athletes A and B. He swears by his beer vs. your beer.

I'm deliberately oversimplifying, of course -- indeed, caricaturing!

Most of us have learned to keep our yaps shut; it's gone so far that there really is little point in trying to help; it's not appreciated, to put it mildly. I was brought up to thank anyone who taught me something. But now... pearls before...uh, YOU know...!

I understand that teachers now have to have to explain to students that the special "texting" language is not appropriate for school, even university, papers.

Gwacious! Someone who values correct writing...!

(I just picked up an expensive-looking sign from our local recycling center. It has the greengrocer's apostrophe. (It's instead of Its). You'd think somebody would proofread before spending my tax money. Proofread? What's that... )

Aspasia

Reply to
Persephone

Ah, rainman has met his equal.

Reply to
D. Staples

Didn't realize that I had so many spelling mistakes. I don't use a spell-check option in posts, type on the fly. Thank you for pointing that out.

Was thinking the same thing too, predators.

Settling in for a long, hot summer. Have to keep the newly planted ligustrums watered according to one weblink I read. Same link said first year is critical for ligustrum transplants. The "deer resistant" ligustrum seems to be subject to the deer's liberal browsing as well. The vicinity side is about 20 feet from trees and cover, the other side is on the other side of the driveway which is clearcut and nearer to their old grazing/roaming path before I moved here. Learned something, makes me look forward to tomorrow. Enjoy your day.

Jang, its all good.

Reply to
Dioclese

You have misspelled words before my dear. Don't try to glom on. It's unbecoming a professional. YOU should edit your professional website.

Reply to
Jangchub

"D. Staples" wrote in news:fPSdnVP0qZVZ16_VnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.telecomsupplyinc:

you know, as someone with autism, i really resent that sort of statement. while many Asperger folks can be pedantic about their interests, not everyone who has an interest in good spelling & grammar or mathmatics is a "rainman". lee

Reply to
enigma

It might interest you, persephone, Kurt Vonnegut couldn't spell worth a lick, nor could Anne Rice, or Stephen King. I don't think that ruined their ability to connect thoughts. Content is everything. If you are very busy correcting you may miss the fun of reading. That's sad.

Reply to
Jangchub