Couple of tree questons

Page 1 of 2
How come it takes more than one season for a transplanted pecan sapling to establish itself, and start producing stems/leaves of any appreciable amount?
How come among the many ligustrums I planted, the ones furtherest from tree and other natural cover are being eaten by white-tailed deer/ ones in the vincity of such cover aren't bothered?
--
Dave

Parkinson's disease, not easy to define.
Good questions. i do not have the answer. "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote in message

Energy management?

If you find out please let me know.
John

"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote in message

It takes at least one, if not more, seasons to reestablish a root system to promote full and health growth. Plus the damage done in the transplanting needs to be off set.

Possibly a self defense mechanism, less cover for preditors to hide in and attack from.
On Sun, 18 May 2008 09:10:34 -0500, "D. Staples"

Healthy
growth. Plus the damage done in the transplanting

Furthest
from

Vicinity
PredAtors.
(stop me before I strike again... heellllp!)
Persephone
On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:39:02 -0700, Persephone wrote:

U donot kneed help, you kneed a slap.
Correct this one, stick it where the sun don't shine, buttercup.
<Persephone> wrote in message

On Sun, 18 May 2008 23:35:45 -0500, "D. Staples"

There is nothing worse than someone who corrects spelling or grammatical errors online. It's useless and a waste of time. I agree. Persephone should stick it.

I rarely indulge, but when I do, it's oddly auto-therapeutic.
Incidentally, always generates roughly the same response. This one is relatively civilized, but then so is this blessed NG.
P.

<Persephone> wrote in message

Didn't realize that I had so many spelling mistakes. I don't use a spell-check option in posts, type on the fly. Thank you for pointing that out.
Was thinking the same thing too, predators.
Settling in for a long, hot summer. Have to keep the newly planted ligustrums watered according to one weblink I read. Same link said first year is critical for ligustrum transplants. The "deer resistant" ligustrum seems to be subject to the deer's liberal browsing as well. The vicinity side is about 20 feet from trees and cover, the other side is on the other side of the driveway which is clearcut and nearer to their old grazing/roaming path before I moved here. Learned something, makes me look forward to tomorrow. Enjoy your day.
Jang, its all good.
--
Dave

On Tue, 20 May 2008 07:40:13 -0500, "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

Thank YOU for being charitable about my OT spelling lesson. As a lifelong language freak, sometimes it just gets away from me and I do something inappropriate.
As I wrote earlier, I was brought up to appreciate anyone who will teach me something.
I've also heard many times that the minute we stop learning, we're as good as dead. That may be a rather colorful exaggeration <g> but it is integral to certain cultures.

I envy your proximity to Nature -- even the "nuisance" deer part. I do my best in a city garden. Going out into the garden after working in my home office for hours revives my spirit.
Persephone

Very Chinese. Too consider everyone we come in contact with as a teacher. Some teach what to do others what not to do.
sagacity n 1: ability to make good judgments [syn: , , , ] 2: the trait of forming opinions by distinguishing and evaluating [syn: , ]
Wonderful heady stuff.
Some music below my brother told me about.
Beauty Is Everywhere 6:33 I-Ching Of The Marsh and The Moon
Bill who is making stuffed peppers for tomorrow.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /
On Sat, 17 May 2008 22:50:32 -0500, "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

Pecan's take a while to establish their tap root. It pretty much takes most of the trees energy to do this.
Deer are forbes eaters and will eat anything when hungry. The plants they aren't eating may have spray from cats or other animals on them which will deterr them. Many factors.

J.C., you have an apostrophe where none is needed in "pecan's", but don't have one where it IS needed, in "trees [energy]".

Deter - one "r".
Many factors.
What is a "forbes eater"? I couldn't find it via search engine. Do you perchance mean "forage"? Honest question.
If you are not a native speaker, excuse entire message.
Persephone
On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:36:21 -0700, Persephone wrote:

will u now edit all my post's, oops, posts? thanx, but no thanx. I spelled forbs incorrectly. wot is ur pernt? have nothing to do!"?*$

I honestly never heard of "forbes" before, and just wanted to learn something new that would be useful in the garden. Now that you've given the correct pronunciation, I have looked it up and learned something new.
Persephone
On Sun, 18 May 2008 18:20:32 -0700, Persephone wrote:

...after you corrected my spelling. thanx. my new mission in life is to be grammer and splling incorrect in every powst. If you couldn't find out what a forb was during a search for deer/forbes, you are full of crap. I don't like what you did. I didn't give you correct pronunciation. I gave you the correct spelling. They are both pronounced the same way. I'm done here.
Persephone
I agree that words are important. If you cannot get the spelling correctly, how would they expect us to understand what they are saying? They really do not care about being misunderstood. Maybe that is from a lack of understanding?
I respect your post and your points. Please visit www.treedictionary.com and if you happen to find - "misspelled" words - please let me know and when I hear from you I will make corrections. You can post them to the list for the whole world to criticize or just in email viewed in the special room of the Bush Administration, where they monitor our emails. Thank you. My worry is being misunderstood, a great deal more than any criticism.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Well, maybe...Actually I think it is a radical change in values over the last few decades. People used to admire and value clear, eloquent speech and correct spelling/grammar. But those same folks are now routinely castigated, [especially if they go briefly snap enough to post corrections on an unrelated NG <g>]
Note that it's not entirely the fault of the castigators. Most do not know any better, and don't want to know.
They may have been formed in homes where good language is not prized, and certainly in schools which all too often toady to the "self-esteem" PC teaching philosophy which doesn't demand study and performance; doesn't imbue in the learner the idea that "good enough" is NOT good enough; instead have to settle for "anything goes" as long as the student doesn't drop out and lose them the ADA (average daily attendance) money. Caring teachers must go quietly mad, considering what they have to deal with.
Note that the same people who don't care about good writing -- about the difference between correct and incorrect grammar -- in fact can get quite ugly about it if pointed out -- would object furiously if somone suggested that a metric tool is just as good as a US tool on a car engine. He (usually) cares passionately about the difference in performance of Athletes A and B. He swears by his beer vs. your beer.
I'm deliberately oversimplifying, of course -- indeed, caricaturing!
Most of us have learned to keep our yaps shut; it's gone so far that there really is little point in trying to help; it's not appreciated, to put it mildly. I was brought up to thank anyone who taught me something. But now... pearls before...uh, YOU know...!
I understand that teachers now have to have to explain to students that the special "texting" language is not appropriate for school, even university, papers.

Gwacious! Someone who values correct writing...!
(I just picked up an expensive-looking sign from our local recycling center. It has the greengrocer's apostrophe. (It's instead of Its). You'd think somebody would proofread before spending my tax money. Proofread? What's that... <g>)
Aspasia
Ah, rainman has met his equal.
<Persephone> wrote in message wrote:

you know, as someone with autism, i really resent that sort of statement. while many Asperger folks can be pedantic about their interests, not everyone who has an interest in good spelling & grammar or mathmatics is a "rainman". lee