Could It Soon Be Against The Law To Have A Home Garden In The U.S. ???

Page 2 of 2

Again you fail to answer the question(s) you were asked. That tactic, too, ALWAYS fails.

The questions were absurd.

Dismissing valid questions by calling them absurd is yet another tactic that ALWAYS fails.

When the questions are worth answering, I'll let you know. Have a nice day.

You may be right on that point. But that means the point of the question was to determine if I was worthy of your ridicule based on whether or not I could name some news sources.
~~BB
* Can't see the Forest | Bryan B. *

I wasn't sure if this is the first you'd heard of Monsanto's tricks. The subject has been mentioned by many news sources which are aimed at grownups. I believe Fox even made mention of Monsanto's tricks a few years back.
So, is this the first you've heard about it?

It still appears that the point of your question (and, frankly, your somewhat snarky reply above) was to determine if I was worthy of your ridicule.
In any event, we're straying far off topic here now. So all I'll say is that, no, this is not the first I've "heard about it", and no, I still don't believe that Monstanto is necessarily evil. And, that's where we'll leave it. (Well, I will anyway...)
~~BB
* Can't see the Forest | Bryan B. *

<http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/monsanto.htm
<http://www.mcgilltribune.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticle&ustory_ idd7c112-9bbf-4fdc-9017-902d93f09513>
<http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/business/6768757.html
<http://civileats.com/2009/04/30/you-say-tomato-i-say-monsanto/
<http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2008/05/monsanto200805
--
- Billy
t.au:

I've read through those links. And it seems the best answer is to not buy Monsanto's products. If you break an agreement (in these cases, that a farmer is not to save seed--regardless of the tradition of doing so), you should expect to pay the consequences. If a farmer wants to save seed, don't buy GM (Gentically modified) seed from Monsanto.
As far as the seed cleaner co-ops go, make the customers sign a waiver that they are not providing patented GM seed to be cleaned.
Monsanto is just trying to protect its patent. (Yes, it seems they're doing so rather aggressively.) Why *wouldn't* a patent holder try to protect its patent? That's the point of *getting* a patent. (I'm, of course, ignoring the "can life be patented?" discussion; currently, the patents are valid so we go with that.)
I think another issue in this Monsanto "discussion" is the lack of legal knowledge on the part of the farmers. I'm not accusing all farmers of just being country bumkins with a piece of hay in their mouth but farming requires an entirely different set of knowledge than being a lawyer. So there's probably a perception of being railroaded by something the farmer doesn't quite understand.
(Yes, I'm aware of the stories of Monsanto going after farmers who never planted Monsanto's GM seed but are accused by Monsanto of violating/stealing the patented product.)
All in all, the solution appears to be to not buy Monsanto's GM seed. With enough people doing that, the market will probably take care of itself and the problem will go away.
(We've once again strayed far off topic; so this is the last I'll post on this.)
~~BB
* Can't see the Forest | Bryan B. *
EVP MAN wrote:

http://www.nwofighters.org/senate-bill-s510-makes-it-illegal-to-grow-share-trade-or-sell-homegrown-food /
As an outsider I found this article pretty well useless. It goes on about the evils of this bill and gets the knife into Monsanto but never actually tells you (or gives a link to) what this bill actually says, nor does it explain why it is so evil. I found the reference to HAACP confusing and in the absence of showing any connection I wondered what it has to do with this bill other than somebody they don't like is responsible for it has some connection to HAACP.
There may be something to this issue but these blokes were not able to say what it was. What is the value of journalism that is all allegation and no substance?
David

    One would accept your question as rhetorical. Surely no rational citizen would mistake that site's folderol as "journalism";-)
--
the Balvenieman
USDA zone 9b, peninsular Florida, U.S.A.

Still, I suppose that it must be investigated since what once seemed absurd, now seems to be common place.
The joys of a police state, don't you know.
--
- Billy
    How silly. This is a _news_ "source"? It's interesting that among the hysteria is no mention at all of the proposal's actual provisions or a link to its text. Did anyone notice elsewhere on the page the two insubordinate former Fox newsies who fail to grasp that press "freedom" adheres to him who _owns_ the press. LOL!
the Balvenieman
USDA zone 9b, peninsular Florida, U.S.A.
Good Lord. The really sad part is that thanks to those who mistakenly regard voting as a "right", instead of as a priveledge of respondible citizenship, you can vote without qualification.