Corn - when to harvest?

This weekend my corn tassels opened and started to drop pollen. How long does it take for the corn to mature? And how long can it remain on the plant? I have about 30 plants, and will probably have about 50-60 ears ripen. I have 4 blocks total, each timed to ripen about 1-2 weeks apart. Hmm...200 ears of corn in one month. Did I over do it? :-P
"Matthew Reed" <nospam at zootal dot com nospam> wrote in message

Gently feel the cobs now, and do so every few days. You'll be able to tell when the kernels grow larger along the cob. When they feel "that way" close to the top, it's harvest time. Leaving them in place for TOO long will cause them to grow tough. The definition of "too long" depends on the variety, to an extent, so you'll have to experiment.
Matthew Reed wrote:

punch your thumb thru one of the kernals. If it is milky, then it is done. And the tassels should be black also.

Once you peel back the husk, the kernels will stop developing in that spot. Don't make a habit of this.
"Matthew Reed" <nospam at zootal dot com nospam> wrote in message

Corn is ready to pick 21 days after the silk appears.
As Day 21 approaches, wrap your hand around the ear/s top with your thumb pointed toward the base. The tip of the ear should feel full in your palm, not pointy when it/s ripe.
From here on out, make sure your plants gets ~2" water / wk to ensure full ears.
Kernels than do not crowd their neighbors make for the best quality sweet corn. Two days past prime makes for big, starchy kernels.
I like to pick my corn 1st thing in the morning, while its still cool from the night air.
Matthew Reed wrote:

When the raccoons tear down the stalks and steal all the corn, you'll know that it would have been ready to pick in another 2 days. HTH :-)
Best regards, Bob

Um...not encouraging. Might have some around here. I'm working on a fence (not that it will stop the racoons). Hopefully the construction between me and the bushes will stop them, I'm at the edge of a small town. There is a family of skunks that like to prowl around at night - I can tell when they are in garden...peeeyyyeeewww, drifts right in the bedroom window. I understand that skunk spray can be quite potent, but do the animals themselves smell very strong?
zxcvbob wrote:

<Snarf>
Ah, then they are just like my tomatoes! They are ripe a few days after they are covered with bites and claw marks. <sigh>
--Jenny
"Matthew Reed" <nospam at zootal dot com nospam> wrote in message

Harvest it as soon as it's ready.
200 ears in a month means you have plenty to share. Figure on 20 days from silk or the day the racoons have a party in your garden. You can feel the kernals develop through the husk. Pick one and bite into it raw standing in the garden, no amount of culinary skill will improve on that moment. If it was me I would take the best looking ear around day 17 and sort of sneak up onto optimum ripeness- it could cost you all of 6 ears,one a day. Got too much? soup kitchen, food bank, neighbors? Enjoy Matthew Reed wrote:

I used to grow extra stuff for neighbors. Then, I moved to a new neighborhood. I'm surrounded by old Italian ladies. Last year, I tried giving away extra basil, escarole, tomatoes, garlic, onions, eggplant, etc. Most of these ladies said stuff like "Escarole? Whattya do with it? I never had it". WTF? :-) Maybe I should've grown cardoons.

Isn't that the truth! I eat most garden veggies raw. Cooked beans? Eww. Boiled corn? bleah. The best veggies are eaten between garden and kitchen, before Mama gets her hands on them :)
When the tassels have dried and turned brown, or even black, some say the corn is ripe. If you can feel that the kernels at the free end of the ear are developed, that is a good clue. My wife actually peels back a bit of the husk and looks at the kernels to make her final decision.
Most sweet corn is good only for about a week, after that it becomes tough. Depending on variety, the flavor can degrade (the sugar converts to starch and the sweetness is gone) within hours of picking. My wife checks that the corn is ripe, then puts on the water to boil. When the water is just about to boil, we pick the corn, shuck it, and toss it into the boiling water. You won't have too much; its easy to eat four or five ears at a sitting.