Corn - when to harvest?

This weekend my corn tassels opened and started to drop pollen. How long does it take for the corn to mature? And how long can it remain on the plant? I have about 30 plants, and will probably have about 50-60 ears ripen. I have 4 blocks total, each timed to ripen about 1-2 weeks apart. Hmm...200 ears of corn in one month. Did I over do it? :-P

Reply to
Matthew Reed

Gently feel the cobs now, and do so every few days. You'll be able to tell when the kernels grow larger along the cob. When they feel "that way" close to the top, it's harvest time. Leaving them in place for TOO long will cause them to grow tough. The definition of "too long" depends on the variety, to an extent, so you'll have to experiment.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

punch your thumb thru one of the kernals. If it is milky, then it is done. And the tassels should be black also.

Reply to
cathych

Once you peel back the husk, the kernels will stop developing in that spot. Don't make a habit of this.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Corn is ready to pick 21 days after the silk appears.

As Day 21 approaches, wrap your hand around the ear/s top with your thumb pointed toward the base. The tip of the ear should feel full in your palm, not pointy when it/s ripe.

From here on out, make sure your plants gets ~2" water / wk to ensure full ears.

Kernels than do not crowd their neighbors make for the best quality sweet corn. Two days past prime makes for big, starchy kernels.

I like to pick my corn 1st thing in the morning, while its still cool from the night air.

Reply to
TQ

When the raccoons tear down the stalks and steal all the corn, you'll know that it would have been ready to pick in another 2 days. HTH :-)

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Um...not encouraging. Might have some around here. I'm working on a fence (not that it will stop the racoons). Hopefully the construction between me and the bushes will stop them, I'm at the edge of a small town. There is a family of skunks that like to prowl around at night - I can tell when they are in garden...peeeyyyeeewww, drifts right in the bedroom window. I understand that skunk spray can be quite potent, but do the animals themselves smell very strong?

Reply to
Zootal

Ah, then they are just like my tomatoes! They are ripe a few days after they are covered with bites and claw marks.

--Jenny

Reply to
Jenny

Harvest it as soon as it's ready.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Reply to
bamboo

I used to grow extra stuff for neighbors. Then, I moved to a new neighborhood. I'm surrounded by old Italian ladies. Last year, I tried giving away extra basil, escarole, tomatoes, garlic, onions, eggplant, etc. Most of these ladies said stuff like "Escarole? Whattya do with it? I never had it". WTF? :-) Maybe I should've grown cardoons.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Isn't that the truth! I eat most garden veggies raw. Cooked beans? Eww. Boiled corn? bleah. The best veggies are eaten between garden and kitchen, before Mama gets her hands on them :)

Reply to
Zootal

When the tassels have dried and turned brown, or even black, some say the corn is ripe. If you can feel that the kernels at the free end of the ear are developed, that is a good clue. My wife actually peels back a bit of the husk and looks at the kernels to make her final decision.

Most sweet corn is good > This weekend my corn tassels opened and started to drop pollen. How long

Reply to
Not