Corn gluten application

I was worried that I waited too late to apply corn gluten to the lawn last year, so I picked some up at the Farmer's Exchange yesterday. The woman there told me that the best time to apply it was between 20 April and 5 May. (I'm in southern New Hampshire, zone 5.) Is it really a matter of dates? Or should I be looking at conditions?
Other stuff I was told: You want to apply it when the ground is moist but with no rain expected for a while. Corn gluten puts the emerging plants into "drought stress," so rain would compensate for the corn gluten's effect.
I can't answer your questions, but hoped you could answer mine. How much did you pay for the gluten?
Patrick
I was worried that I waited too late to apply corn gluten to the lawn last year, so I picked some up at the Farmer's Exchange yesterday. The woman there told me that the best time to apply it was between 20 April and 5 May. (I'm in southern New Hampshire, zone 5.) Is it really a matter of dates? Or should I be looking at conditions?
Other stuff I was told: You want to apply it when the ground is moist but with no rain expected for a while. Corn gluten puts the emerging plants into "drought stress," so rain would compensate for the corn gluten's effect.
Here's some helpful info on corn gluten.
http://www.uwex.edu/ces/wihort/turf/CornGluten.htm
Patrick

$53 for 100 lbs. Next time, I have to remember to shop around.
all I can say is it is bocu expensive at garden centers but I found 25 lb bags for VERY cheap at an animal feed supply store. I was really shocked at the difference in price. Ingrid
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at http://weloveteaching.com/puregold / sign up: http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?hl=en&q=puregold&qt_s=Group+lookup www.drsolo.com Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site.
You can get a 5 lb. shaker bag of corn gluten for $12.95 which covers 250 sq. ft. from some stores. Check out the Weed Control products identified at Ergonica World of Weeds www.ergonica.com.
you need quite a bit of corn gluten to work. not like preen. I applied it so the ground had a thin covering of yellow. I think I paid 12.95 per 25 lb. bag at the feed store.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at http://weloveteaching.com/puregold / sign up: http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?hl=en&q=puregold&qt_s=Group+lookup www.drsolo.com Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site.

OUCH!!!
It's been about two years since I purchased corn gluten. It was $9.95 per 25lb sack from the feed store. No fancy shaker or anything but a plain white bag labelled corn gluten. Bulk was significantly cheaper than that, but MESSY.
sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com