Controlling cicada nymphs on the ground

Now that the cicada invasion has just about run it's course here in the Northeast does anyone know if there is any way to treat the expectant nymph invasion from the cicadas?
Since the females have layed their eggs on tree branch ends it is only a matter of time before the tiny nymphs float to the ground and burrow down to the tree roots. I'd like to try and prevent that from happening - i.e. kill the nymphs after they've floated to the ground and prior to them digging down under the soil surface.
Any suggestions on a spray or powder to use, or is it not worth the effort?
Thanks, Walter
On 12 Jul 2004 13:01:51 -0700, w snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Walter Cohen) wrote:
:) Since the females have layed their eggs on tree branch ends it is only :) a matter of time before the tiny nymphs float to the ground and burrow :) down to the tree roots. I'd like to try and prevent that from :) happening - i.e. kill the nymphs after they've floated to the ground :) and prior to them digging down under the soil surface.
Probably just need to read up on the lyfe cycle of the species in your area and can do a general treatment a day or two after when you feel they hatch out. Doubtful you will ever see any benefit from such a treatment though.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.
On 12 Jul 2004 13:01:51 -0700, w snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Walter Cohen) wrote:

Why? It will give you something to look forward to in 17 years!
In the fine newsgroup "alt.consumers.pest-control", snipped-for-privacy@nyc.rr.com (Curly Sue) artfully composed this message within < (Walter

I agree. It was only a nuisance for a short while, and they were somewhat entertaining in their bumbling ways. Besides, mid-July means they've probably already dropped to the ground and are already sucking on tree roots. Of course I'm in the Mid-Atlantic, so others to the west of the this area might be still finishing up.
--
Cheryl

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:01:51 -0700, Walter Cohen wrote:

Just where in the NE are you? Here in the Hudson Valley of NY I haven't seen ONE yet.
Some invasion!
(I know we get a different species by the way).
Probably New york.
Last month they dive bombed us in Virginia. Only in certian elevations. I grabbed one the wings by a rest stop on I95 and touched the legs slyly on my daus bare shoulder. Horrification !! Big and plump, kinda like nice shrimp cocktail .
In the fine newsgroup "alt.consumers.pest-control", Tom Randy
< on 12 Jul2004:

I'm in Maryland and while some areas were absolutely infested with them, other areas even just miles away had none. I imagine it has to do with development, since so much of the state has really changed in the last 17 years.
--
Cheryl

Count your blessings that you have to put up with them only every 17 yrs. We have annual cicada's here in Colorado. sed5555
On 13 Jul 2004 02:38:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Sed5555) wrote:

We do too (New York), but much fewer in number and hardly noticeable except for the occasional discarded shells.
I'm in upstate NY and lastyear I had them all over in my back yard....this year nothing!! So only 16 more years till I see them again! CG
(Sed5555) wrote:

We do too (New York), but much fewer in number and hardly noticeable except for the occasional discarded shells.

Usually by this time of the year here in Nebraska we're hearing the sweet sounds of cicadas. I haven't heard a single one this year. I wonder if it's because of so much rain this year.
Brigitte
<< Usually by this time of the year here in Nebraska we're hearing the sweet sounds of cicadas. >>
If they sing sweetly they must be a different subspecies than the ones here (New Orleans.) They perch in the oak trees and go eeeeEEEEeeeEEEE then work up to a choral crescendo and fall silent--fpr a few blessed moments. The first time I head them I thought something had gone wrong with the outdoor power lines.
zemedelec
w snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Walter Cohen) expounded:

There's no need, they don't cause any harm.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
w snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Walter Cohen) wrote in message

Why bother, the damage is minimal. Might be a problem if you had a field of saplings or nursery stock for sale.