contored hazel

My husband and I moved into our house 5 years ago. In the garden is

established contored hazel plant. It is not very big but has neve produced any catkins or nuts. I have pruned out the straight branche as they appear but have still not had any catkins or nuts.

Can anybody help

-- sarah-jayne

Reply to
sarah-jayne

Twisted Filberts (Harry Lauder's Walking sticks......contorted hazelnuts....... Corylus avellana Betulaceae) need another nut tree planted close by to produce nuts. No catkins?? That's unusual........plant a butternut somewhere in the yard. If there are no catkins there might be other problems. pests and diseases are powdery mildew, blight, canker, dieback, mushroom root rot, fungal spots, Gymnosporangium rust, bud mites, tent caterpillars, and webworms can occur............one question.........are you certain that this is an established contorted hazelnut? Mine is small and establishing itself in the now overgrown "woods garden" down in true Faerie Holler and it ALWAYS has catkins. Never mind. If you're absolutely certain that it's a twisted filbert, plant a butternut tree and it will produce. My own Harry Lauder's only had scant catkins this year because of the freeze and way too early growth. Keep us posted on your efforts....

madgardener, up on the ridge, back in FAerie Holler, overlooking a hazy English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36 where things are wonderfully changed and rearranging and soon, very very soon I will be posting a ramble and enormous catch up for my true garden friends and neighbors, I promise.

Reply to
madgardener

OMG, you are back and all is right with the universe once again. Ingrid

Reply to
dr-solo