Contemplating the ice storm damage

One of the trees that looked ok actually has a split trunk from being bent over in storm. Since it is only a white pine, I don't mind losing it. It is something I have plenty of on property and this one has had blister beetle damage to the crown/leader at least once.

Now, I was thinking of cutting it down and building a raised bed around the stump and tossing annuals in the bed while the stump rots.

Digging out the stump would most likely damage other plants I want to keep and more importantly damage the neighbor's garden when she's looking to sell. At least the raised bed would be nicer to look at then a stump or the dying tree.

Or I could just put a spike in the trunk and train a climber up a post.

The only thing that saves this tree at all is I lost a big piece of my shade for my hostas and I might have to move a few of them there.

Or I could create a whole new bed for the hosta, but that is a different story.

Thanks

Cheryl in southern NH

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

You could be missing the forest for the trees, keep it simple:

brooklyn1

Not what I want there. It's not an easy spot to keep watered with out extra hauling on my part. If I thought of a shrub that would survive while the stump rotted out, I'd do it in a heart beat

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak