Contemplating the ice storm damage

One of the trees that looked ok actually has a split trunk from being bent over in storm. Since it is only a white pine, I don't mind losing it. It is something I have plenty of on property and this one has had blister beetle damage to the crown/leader at least once.
Now, I was thinking of cutting it down and building a raised bed around the stump and tossing annuals in the bed while the stump rots.
Digging out the stump would most likely damage other plants I want to keep and more importantly damage the neighbor's garden when she's looking to sell. At least the raised bed would be nicer to look at then a stump or the dying tree.
Or I could just put a spike in the trunk and train a climber up a post.
The only thing that saves this tree at all is I lost a big piece of my shade for my hostas and I might have to move a few of them there.
Or I could create a whole new bed for the hosta, but that is a different story.
Thanks
Cheryl in southern NH
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

You could be missing the forest for the trees, keep it simple:
http://i43.tinypic.com/347bnkw.jpg
On 4/20/09 8:37 AM, in article u0_Gl.1759$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net,

Not what I want there. It's not an easy spot to keep watered with out extra hauling on my part. If I thought of a shrub that would survive while the stump rotted out, I'd do it in a heart beat