Containers with clear water in garden

I see at several front yard gardens in my neighborhood, plastic 1/2 gallon containers located in their garden beds. Each is a clear plastic. Each is filled with clear liquid, probably just water. I see so many that I wonder "...are these containers put there to benefit the flowers or vegetables? I am located in Panorama City, CA at zip 91402.

Dave_s

Reply to
Dave_s

Some time a small change can enable a plant to live. Thinking of Hopi and hilling to collect dew and reduce dry wind.

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters

When I see something unusual in my neighborhood, I go up to the house, ring the doorbell, and ask.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Sounds like what you're seeing are inverted 2 liter plastic beverage bottles with "Aqua Spikes" attached... these water plants slowly like drip watering and their flow rate is adjustable:

brooklyn1

Recently, I put a clear half-gallon jug of water in the bird seed tray, mainly to weight it down and stabilize it. Some birds were afraid of the distorted images seen. Nuthatch and titmouse don't seem to mind. A pin hole in a gallon jug of water will help give a new transplant a good and slow soaking.

Reply to
Phisherman

One possibility is that they do not want dogs to pee on their garden. There was a idea going around a while ago that said that dogs will not urinate in clean water and so this will stop them doing it. As far as I know it is totally bogus.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I am condident that they will keep away myths about dogs but I cannot say about deer as there are none hereabouts. They don't work for kangaroos if that is of any help.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott