Container sizes for onions/carrots...

Hi All,

Any idea as to what container size (depth and diameter) I would require to successfully grow onions and carrots in my greenhouse? Also, could you also please let me know which variety of onions and carrots you are referring to so I could purchase similar seeds

Sorry newbie here and I guess this year would be my experimental year

Reply to
fmervin

While I haven't tried growing vegetables in containers, note that different varieties of carrots are different lengths, and you could choose some of the shorter varieties to try in containers. My main garden reference book says the long types need a foot of good loose soil, and points out the following shorter varieties as possibilities if the soil is compacted or rocky, or you are growing in shallower containers:

Half-length varieties: Chantenay, Nantes Miniature varieties: Lady Finger, Short 'n Sweet, Thumbelina

Thumbelina is apparently more round than carrot-shaped. That could be interesting -- radish-shaped carrots! No doubt a nice conversation starter when used in a salad for guests.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Cherkauer