container pines

I have planned to purchase land to start a small tree farm, the success with planting a few trees on my vacation spot in Minnesota has sparked my intrest. The plans for the land purchase may not pan out again this year. I would like to at least do some container trees this spring. My tree choices would be Colo. Blue Spruce and Balsam Fir. The trees would be for resale or donations, and I would think it would be a good test to see if I am farm worthy. I understand some of the drawbacks of container trees and the fact of the cold winter. My questions would be what kind of soil would be best, fertilizers, and any other tips for container pines.

Rookie tree guy

Reply to
chris

Library, library, library, cooperative extension service.

JoeSpareBedroom

i purchased 200 colorado blue spruce from

just twigs, they were and immediatly planted them in 1 gallon nursery pots, put drip irrigation emitters to each one, and let them go for about 3 years, and then planted them, they came out exceptional, and grew like weeds, due to the tree fertilizers injected into the tree water system, when planted i put the treespikes to them yearly for another 10 years and now over 15 foot tall, makes for a nice hedgerow down the dirt road i live on to cut the dust flow.
is a good place to check out tree fertilizers for every tree growing - i used these folks and still do yearly ----- oh and i live in a very cold area ... NY - and the trees were not effected by the freeze of winter

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...

service.http://www.extension.umn.edu/

Reply to
sequoia8