-cone flowers-

"Micah J. Mabelitini" expounded:

That's debatable. It's the white echinacea I grew. I didn't like it. I do know the difference :o)

Reply to
Ann

What was the cultivar name?

Micah Mabelitini

Reply to
Micah J. Mabelitini

Actually, mine was really sucking for the past few years, then I moved it into a dirt dry, horribly infertile spot and it did great. It's interesting how certain plants really do thrive on neglect. I'm slowly learning how to neglect! I will have to say that in all the years I've been gardening, this year was my best, or should I say, most appreciated by me. I always see flaws. This year, I was truly happy. Of course tomorrow I will go out and move things around and I have about 15 shrubs and three trees to plant. I have no idea where I'm going to put a burr oak, but I got a 10 gallon tree, which was at least 12 feet tall for 16 dollars at Walmart. THAT, I could not pass on.

animaux

E. pallida is white, but it's not E.purpurea 'White Swan' or 'Alba.' It's not even the same plant! The pallida is sort of rangy, but like I said, it looked much better this year with neglect.

Reply to
animaux

I do live in the south. The nursery where I bought my plants (NC) had a large variety of echinacea, many of them with blooms. I was impressed with the White Swan because it's blooms were pure white so I decided to try them.

Enuf

Reply to
Enuf

My purple ones are picture perfect for most of the summer, getting that washed out color only at the end of the growing season. They are listed as drought tolerant and I've found that's what they like best - well drained soil and just enough water to keep them alive. IMHO, too much water seems to affect growth & appearance.

Enuf

Reply to
Enuf

animaux expounded:

I think that was the biggest problem with mine, it just didn't like the rich soil. Purpurea seems to love it, I've got babies all over the place!

Reply to
Ann

Yes, babies abound. I've not had the pallida re-seed. I try, but no cigar. A new problem I have is that I put out a million wildflower seeds and for those areas I can't use mulch till the plants come up. The larkspur, bluebonnets and allysum are up, but the poppies, calendula and cosmos won't be up till spring. I suppose I can use a light mulching.

I also had some time a week or so ago, digging out every piece of Nandina domestica. That was a two day job for 6 plants. They've been replaced by dwarf yaupon hollies.

animaux

The message from animaux contains these words:

Did you get rid of it because you prefer native plants, or some other reason? How big do they grow in your warm climate?

Janet (just planted one)

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

They are an invasive plant, here in Texas. The N.domestica (aka heavenly bamboo) spreads by underground runners. They are noxious to the point they are finally on a "don't plant" list, put out by our agricultural agents. One plant can become 10 feet tall and as wide, but not from one base, they spread and go deep. I have six plants and in the four years after the builder put them in, they had to be cut back at least 25 times and covered a border in the front of my house about 30 feet wide...and running.

There are other nandina's which will do well here and not invade. 'Nana' is one which has beautiful color and stays evergreen. Just the N.domestica is the one.

Also, yes, I am trying to remove all non-native species and replace with natives. Slowly, I'm getting there.

Victoria

Reply to
animaux

Good for you Victoria - I have only a corner of my yard which has native species - having a hard time letting go of my faves in favor of all native yard. Not many flower varieties in my neck of the woods. Tina

Reply to
Tina Gibson

Where are you? I am sure I can come up with any number of species of flowering forbes and woody plants. There are countless numbers.

animaux