Concrete pavers / interlock pavers

My apology for cross posting.

I have a question regarding laying some concrete pavers to make a trail at the side of my house. I am talking about those 24" X 24" type you see in big box stores.

Every book I read one needs to put a few inches of gravels plus one inch of sand for foundation. When my neighbour did his two years back he did not put down any foundation at all. In fact he did not even remove the sod ! Two years later every still looks fine to me. In fact it has a certain rustic look to it that is not available in jobs done properly !

What disasters I am looking at if I follow his lazy way ?

buywheels

Pavers WILL shift, frost will heve them, the weight of the traffic will push them down, they will move side to side, etc etc etc. OH weeds WILL grow up through them as well. Do it properly, a few bags of screenings and washing in a bag of sang will go a long long way!

Reply to
Mike Robinson

Probably none. You are essentially installing stepping stones, right? If you're laying the smaller pavers, more brick sized, then the base is more critical in keeping the pavers from shifting around. Since you like the more rustic look, and the pavers are so large, don't sweat it. I wouldn't just drop them on the sod, though. It'll look much better right away, and you won't have problems with tripping and mowers and such, if you remove the sod and lay the paver flush.

RicodJour

The large size blocks are difficult to keep completely level if you've got a lot of them creating a patio or a solid walkway. Especially for steps on a slope, I built frames for the blocks.

Because of our sandy soil >> My apology for cross posting.

Reply to
World Traveler

It depends on soil and weather conditions. The standard procedure will handle most soil and weather conditions, your neighbor's method will not, but with the right weather and soil conditions it may work. I use the standard method myself.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The biggest problems over time are likely:

  1. The pavers will settle unevenly in the sod making them hard to walk on at some point - this may take 5-10 years.
  2. They may crack due to the uneven support that also contributes to 1 above.

However, some may consider this part of the rustic look so if you don't mind some uneven settling and cracking, then go for it.

Personally, I'd prepare a proper base and then put topsoil around the pavers and re-seed to get the rustic look of grass around the pavers.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I made a patio out of 18" patio pavers about 5 years ago (maybe more now). They still look like the day I put them in. Couple of things I did.

  1. Removed anywhere from 0-8 inches of earth, to rough grade the area and bring it level with the existing house entry (sidewalk).
  2. Added and rough graded anywhere from added approximately 6 inches of lime rock (small pea sized gravel, with lime mixed in). I manually tamped this several times and let it settle over about 2 months (other projects going on as well).
  3. I had placed framing around the area that intended to leave. This was treated lumber. I then put approximately 1 inch of sand in and graded this to an almost glass smooth finish. I had the whole thing sloping away from the house approximately 1/4" per foot. I decided to offset each row. So in other words, the first row, I had 1/2 a paver, then full ones until the last one, which was the other 1/2. In the next row I started with a full paver and ended with a full paver. The next row was back to 1/2 first and last. On the next row, I went back to full. A staggered pattern, I guess.. This really helped to lock in the big pavers.
  4. I manually tamped them in one last time (carefully) to help them settle. And then spread sand between the joints. But the joints are so tight, there is little sand going in between!
  5. Finally, I took some of the dirt I dug out in the beginning and graded the edges out from the framing.

As you can see...a WHOLE LOT of work! But it does hold up VERY well and we spend many enjoyable hours on the deck.

By the way, I dug in 4 posts later and some framing on top of those posts and added a tarp thing, that filters about 80% of the sun. Helps keep it cool on those hot days.

Having said ALL that, you can just plop those things on the ground if you want. But they will likely shift. I had a friend that did what you are considering for a sidewalk and it works...and frankly, it doesn't look to bad. But when he tries to shovel snow off it.....wow! He's cussin'.

Reply to
luv2cmwork