Concord grapes

FamilyNet International Newsgate
My concard grape arbor is produceing much leaf growth, but very very few grapes
I cut back rather heavily last year on previous advice that would prompt more fruiting but 8-(
The original planting was about 10 yearsago.
How can we manage to produce the fruit we used to please?
Stay young, OldAck
--
SLMR 2.1a I'm in shape ... round's a shape isn't it?

FamilyNet <> Internet Gated Mail
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:06:05 GMT, "THURSTON ACKERMAN"

Probably needs more phosphates. Nitrates the first number in a fertilizer produces lots of green. That is why lawn fertilizers have a higher first number, but fruits and flowers like a higher middle number which is for phosphorus. I like a high middle number like tomato stakes 6-12-6 for flowering plants. I can't always get an exact 1-2-1 type, but have to settle for something close depending on the quantity and type I need. The third number in fertilizer is potash/potassium and plants need a little of that to properly utilize the other two. I've heard tell that old pecan orchards have been restored to produce again by the addition of potash.
Regards,
Hal
this year leave the vines until spring, then select vines that are pencil thick going 3-4 feet in both directions "arms" (or 2 sets, one on the upper fence, one lower down) and leave a vine coming off that every foot (the fingers). cut that last vine to about 3-5 buds. I use the curtain system. my thick heavy standard goes up to 8', the 2 arms go out about 3 feet and the vines come off that, hanging down. very productive. every other year or so I select new "arms". Ingrid