computer question

Page 3 of 3
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:04:16 -0600, "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

I'm a girl. I loved Barbie.

Whose fault is that, the peers?

If I inferred it, it certainly was not my intention and by your reply I think you know what I was getting at. However, the same dullards will once again pound the doors down next Christmas to buy the latest 600 xbox and the kids suffer.

I wasn't talking about teens.

My thinking is its the parents again...

2 of my grandsons fall in that category. Have 5 grandchildren. My former son-in-law, their father, is more like a play partner and friend to those boys. They are spoiled rotten by my daughter and him regarding the latest toys, gadgets, first run movies every 2 weeks at the theatre, and yes, they went to Disneyland 2 years ago. This occurred during their marriage and afterwards. They barely made ends meet financially in both situations. The 2 boys demanded an Xbox 360 per their own research and peers. They got it last Christmas from my daughter. Between the 2 of the boys, they have 2 playstations, a PSP, and the prior version of Xbox as well. The older grandson got his own cell phone of course as well.

Am glad.
Dave

i'm a girl. i hated dolls, Barbie in particular. but that irrelevant :) i agree that we played outside most of the time, but then, so does my kid. i tend to shock a lot of parents. my son is 7. he's quite "busy", as in scatterbrained & all over the place. running around outside, building forts & climbing trees are great outlets for all that energy. i booted him out the door to play alone at around 18 months old (he was walking at 6 months & climbing trees at 13 months). i gave him verbal boundries of where he was allowed to play, so that he would always be visible from a window, & let him go. pampering kids isn't doing them a favor. last summer he 'earned' the privilege of going to play at the pond by himself. this summer he wants to learn whittling & carving, so he's working on more self-control (oh my god! you aren't thinking of giving a 7 year old a knife, are you?!).

of course not. many parents are either spineless, or trying to relive their childhoods vicariously through their kids. neither is good for the kids. of course, sitting inside playing mindless video games or futzing on myspace isn't healthy either, especially if it's unlimited or unsupervised. BTW, peer influence isn't really a big thing under age 10 or so, & hopefully by then the parents have instilled *some* values into a kid...

it's only nominally for the kids, as i said... lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

None are so blind as those who will not see.
JSB, thanks for the observation and the read.
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars
symplastless wrote:

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Travis wrote:

Actually, under Vista a quick tap of it should do an orderly shutdown.
--John
Vista has a help section that would give pertinent information if you looked there.
Basically, the system comes with the start button configured to put the system in the sleep mode; if you want the button to do a complete shutdown, you reconfigure it as the help section describes. I rather prefer the sleep mode, as it saves what you were doing and facilitates restarting. I only shut down the pc completely when I will not be using it for a day or longer.
symplastless wrote:

No. Its a question that comes up from time to time on every windows system. The user doesn't want to "waste" time clicking the double sequence of icons to effect a shutdown of the PC. One double click on a desktop icon shortcut is what he's asking for. And, to boot, he's asking for someone else.
Anal, yes. Users still ask for it from time to time irregardless.
--
Dave