computer question

That's correct. Holding it down shuts it down instantly and I've only had to use it when all else went fubar. I would then always restart in safe mode to see if I could solve the problem.

Reply to
Jangchub

Possibly. Not definitely. RLS is not what I was talking about, though RLS doesn't need a drug either. We use too many friggin drugs for everything. Try meditation and relaxation techniques. People have turn into neurotics.

The movement of the legs I'm talking about are when he's on the couch and his leg jiggled as he watched television. A jiggling leg on a kid is not something which needs medication.

Teachers make similar salaries in NY Metro area. Do you know the cost of a house in the NY Metro area? I have a friend who teaches SE and has for three decades. She makes 90,000 dollars a year and scrapes by with three kids and a working husband on Long Island. I live in Texas for the last 14 years where teachers make barely 25,000 and they spend on average 500 dollars a year for supplies in their rooms which are not supplied by the school. They do it to make their job easier.

Reply to
Jangchub

I'm a girl. I loved Barbie.

Whose fault is that, the peers?

If I inferred it, it certainly was not my intention and by your reply I think you know what I was getting at. However, the same dullards will once again pound the doors down next Christmas to buy the latest

600 xbox and the kids suffer.

I wasn't talking about teens.

Reply to
Jangchub

As a person with ADHD I've _tried_ "meditation and relaxation techniques". Doesn't work. Too much noise inside the head. "Quiet it" you say. HOW?

I agree with you there.

So how does that 90K compare with other occupations in the area?

Reply to
J. Clarke

My thinking is its the parents again...

2 of my grandsons fall in that category. Have 5 grandchildren. My former son-in-law, their father, is more like a play partner and friend to those boys. They are spoiled rotten by my daughter and him regarding the latest toys, gadgets, first run movies every 2 weeks at the theatre, and yes, they went to Disneyland 2 years ago. This occurred during their marriage and afterwards. They barely made ends meet financially in both situations. The 2 boys demanded an Xbox 360 per their own research and peers. They got it last Christmas from my daughter. Between the 2 of the boys, they have 2 playstations, a PSP, and the prior version of Xbox as well. The older grandson got his own cell phone of course as well.

Am glad.

Dave

Reply to
Dioclese

How long a period did you meditate and what was the duration of each session? What did you meditate on and which technique did you use? Meditation takes committment and practice over the long haul. It doesn't work after several times. Calming the mind has been achieved by Buddhists for thousands of years. If you told a Tibetan they had ADHD they'd laugh hysterically with wonder at what you were talking about. The mind also can quiet when people don't have over stimulation, which I described in my first post.

A police officer makes about 70,000 a electronics solderer makes about

35 to 40. Special Ed is paid at a much higher rate than teaching students without special needs. Teachers do not make 90k in New York. Nurses make about 65 with a 10-15,000 dollar signing bonus. It's all screwey.

You can't buy a house on Long Island or anywhere downstate for that matter without a minimum of a 20 percent down payment in cash. Even then, they will opt for you to take a mortgage up to 110 percent of the loan to help with the almost 15,000 in closing fees. It's insane. Add that to a car payment, 3.50 for a gallon of gas to sit in a parking lot to and from work for hours in many cases and there, you have not much left for anything.

Reply to
Jangchub

Jangchub wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

i'm a girl. i hated dolls, Barbie in particular. but that irrelevant :) i agree that we played outside most of the time, but then, so does my kid. i tend to shock a lot of parents. my son is 7. he's quite "busy", as in scatterbrained & all over the place. running around outside, building forts & climbing trees are great outlets for all that energy. i booted him out the door to play alone at around 18 months old (he was walking at 6 months & climbing trees at 13 months). i gave him verbal boundries of where he was allowed to play, so that he would always be visible from a window, & let him go. pampering kids isn't doing them a favor. last summer he 'earned' the privilege of going to play at the pond by himself. this summer he wants to learn whittling & carving, so he's working on more self-control (oh my god! you aren't thinking of giving a 7 year old a knife, are you?!).

of course not. many parents are either spineless, or trying to relive their childhoods vicariously through their kids. neither is good for the kids. of course, sitting inside playing mindless video games or futzing on myspace isn't healthy either, especially if it's unlimited or unsupervised. BTW, peer influence isn't really a big thing under age 10 or so, & hopefully by then the parents have instilled *some* values into a kid...

it's only nominally for the kids, as i said... lee

Reply to
enigma

As long as I could sit still without developing an urge to kill something.

Whatever was before me at the time and when I was doing it there wasn't discussion of "techniques", you just did it. At least those around me were doing it. I was struggling to stay sane.

Perhaps no Tibetan suffers from ADHD. There is a small body of evidence that suggests that it is hereditary.

You say that "calming the mind has been achieved by Buddhists for thousands of years". While I am certain that that is true for _some_ Buddhists are you saying that all Buddhists everywhere have achieved it?

I'm sorry, but saying that some technique is going to work for a person with a neurological disorder because it has worked for others who do not have that disorder is kind of pointless.

With regard to "over stimulation", I lived out in the sticks and my folks didn't even have a radio, so where did I get this "overstimulation"?

You really don't seem to know much about ADHD.

So it sounds like it was pretty good pay.

Reply to
J. Clarke