computer question

Page 1 of 3
I am just starting with Windows Vista. When shutting down I go to the start menu and down in the far left corner is a little itty bitty button that if I tag it with the pointer a menu comes up which allow me to shut down the computer. Is there not a larger button or another way to shut down the computer. I am trying to teach a client how to use her new computer. Thanks in advance.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Is it just me, or is there something deeply flawed with the blind leading the blind?
Right click an empty spot on the tool bar. You should see a clue there.
Joe
I thank you for you knowledge sharing. Just like with trees. what I mean is that some things which seemed simple once revealed, were probably the last choice I would have made if not pointed out. E.g., The fact that turf grass was harmful for the tree. So I figured I would remove the grass. Then I find out that the grass roots grow deeper than the non-woody roots of trees. So with the turf went the non-woody's. Watch somebody that does not understand tree targets and they often prune right in the middle of two nodes. I do thank you for pointing that out to me, I.e., the tool bar thing. If I can ever help you please let me know.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Val wrote:

Good idea; BUT almost all computers come with Vista now so many users have nothing to go back to. Of course, you can always go out and buy XP but most people don't want to go to that trouble (or expense).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

almost all machines you buy at a big box store come with Vista. if you *order* a machine from just about anywhere, including Staples, you can get it with XP Pro. i think waiting 24-48 hours is worth saving the aggravation of uninstalling Vista & spending more money on XP to make the computer functional. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I don't have what you describe either.
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

symplastless wrote:

CTRL-ALT-DEL and there's a big red shut down button on the lower right.
--John

Ditch Vista and go back to XP. Vista sucks camel butt. Seriously. Ask anyone.
Phoon Hencman wrote:

I somewhat agree. Vista is a real resource hog and still has quite a few bugs. There are a lot of programs that still don't work correctly with Vista and won't until the vendors come out with updates for their programs. Their is a service pack that is coming out for Vista within the next few months and that will correct at least some of the problems that Vista users are reporting.
I recommend that anyone that still has XP not "upgrade" their OS to Vista. Microsoft has announce that they will continue to support XP until at least 2014 and Service Pack 3 will be out for it latter this year.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

what M$ product isn't a resource hog? what is wrong with writing elegant, unbloated code? have they made any form of Vista that runs games yet? not all of us choose to use computers as 'business' machines, or to buy game consoles.

my 7 year old got a laptop from his grandpa for Christmas. grandpa took off the Vista & put XP Pro on, & we set it up for dual boot with Linux when it got here. the boy prefers Linux. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

I agree with not upgrading. However, if you buy a new PC, get Vista. It has some improvements over XP, despite the bloat. It's search capabilities are very good and makes XP search look lame. New software will always be a resource hog--memory and disk space is very inexpensive. I used to program in assembler a long time ago, but that language is seldom used anymore and there are few remaining programmers with that skill or want to develop the skill. XP will be around for a long time since there are slower machines that still are useful.

Not if it won't run the programs I've invested in already over the years.

Having capabilities that are rarely used are pretty useless to me.

Computers have reached the point where the general user doesn't have much need for more 'speed'. Vista is nothing more than Micro$oft's latest way to make money - that doesn't make it necessary.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

news server: msnews.microsoft.com
For why not to use Vista, newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
For a fix: newsgroup: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dave
symplastless wrote:

I don't have what you describe on my Dell Vista box.
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Travis wrote:

If it's a default Vista setup there should be a button with an arrow to the lower _right_ not _left_ (I'm somewhat dyslexic myself--I have to triple check on directions sometimes) of the menu that comes up where "start" would be on an XP box that gets the options switch user, lock, logoff, sleep, shut down.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

I don't know what the big flap is. Vista is fine with shut down as having dyslexic fingers myself, I've had to back down from a possible accidental shutting down of XP.
Vista has been out for a year now and I had waited 6 months before buying a new computer with it. There were a lot of software conversion problems and driver updatings but now system works great and I prefer to XP pro on older computer that I still use.

well, you bought it on new hardware, so presumably it has enough ooomph to run the bloatware. i'm sure tyou wouldn't be so charmed if you were trying to run it on your older computer. but still, what programs are you running on it & did they also come on the new computer or are they programs you purchased before you bought the Vista computer? does Vista run games & if so, which ones? my uses for a computer are graphics design (Windows sucks), games (Windows is passable) & email/usenet (Linux is better). in what way would a Vista "upgrade" help me, who detests bloatware?
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
enigma wrote:

I understand you need 1/2 MB for Vista. I have one but am thinking of adding more. I needed the MS Office upgrade, which I bought but am sorry I did because free Open Office is just as good and also writes pdf's. Did not even try my old copy of Adobe Acrobat as it was tough to get on XP. Old printer had a new driver available and even new wireless router connection bought along with computer, needed driver download. My Kodak camera also had a free Vista program available from them.
Eudora for email with only problem of selecting more than 2 addresses at one time. Brought over free Mailwasher. Firefox browser and Thunderbird for ng's. Internet Explorer on new computer is a mess taking forever to load and then visit sites. I don't use it.
No games or other software brought over.
be on the way out.

Is your "G" key broke? IE: GB vs. MB. Dave