computer question 2

Page 1 of 2
On VISTA Norton's firewall is not allowing websites to be viewed at all. Just as if there was no internet connection. We can send and recieve email but we have to turn off Nortons firewall to view any webpages. We are on a dial up connection. Very fustrating. Anyone have a clue? Norton said Microsoft Generic Host should be on but could not find that specific option in Vista. Any clue?
Thanks in advance.
John the non-computer expert.

I have no clue. The newsgroup "microsoft.public.windows.vista.general" should have people that are better at solving vista computer problems than "rec.gardens".
Dan the mac-computer expert.
--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 23:44:40 -0500, "Dan L."
Ouch ;-)

That makes too much sense, Dan.

Have you allowed your web browser to access the internet? It may be the firewall has a setting where you allow whatever program to access. Check the help file with Norton and see.

--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
symplastless wrote:

Why are you using Norton antivirus when Comcast gives you McAfee for free as part of the package and you have to pay for Norton? Also when I got new computer with Vista, IE was extremely slow. Not sure why but Firefox is much better.
Frank

because IE sucks. firefox *is* much better. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
enigma wrote:

And Firefox 2 is even better and MUCH more secure than Microsoft IE.
--
Bill R.

Remove nospam_ and x in e-mail address to reply by e-mail
symplastless said:

There's nothing wrong with the Firewall, or the computer. The Internet is just offline.
--

Eggs

-A hair in the head is worth two in the brush.
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:50:34 -0600, Eggs Zachtly

You wouldn't get email if the Internet owas offline. Your setting is too high priority and your anti virus is preventing you from accessing the WWW. I hate Norton and use the free version of AVG.
Also, why ask a gardening group this question? There are no computer newsgroups on Usenet?

This is the second time he's asked a computer question here, even though there are plenty of computer newsgroups, including those run by Microsoft, where he could get a perfect response in half a day at the most.
But, he asks the questions here because he thinks it'll somehow distract us from his disorder.

What are you crazy. Sorry I thought you might have a solution. My mistake and my disorder.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Many computer problems can be solved by posting in a computer newsgroup. Now, go do something useful. Clean the lint trap in your head.

John is kinda like that clinging girl/boy that we all went out with, once. He wouldn't be so bad if he didn't cling so much, but he does. He can't leave us alone or figure out when his knowledge would be helpful. Not that his cut and paste interactions are all that satisfying. He doesn't seem to be a malicious guy, just clueless, with no interpersonal skills, at all.
Think I'll help myself to one of your virtual beers:-)
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:05:07 -0500, "symplastless"

My car won't start, but it turns over and makes a ticking noise. What should I do?

rec.food.cooking, you knucklehead!

Look, I kind of know you guys or gals, I know nobody on computer news groups. Even though we disagree on many tree care practices and my method of supplying information, I kind of think I could trust you. I.e., I don't think you would try to mislead me with a computer question. By the response to my last question many people here had more of experience with Vista than me. E.g., I had Dell on the phone and they decided I was going to reformat and reinstall software. I don't think so. Once I told them if we had to reformat a new computer we were going to return the computer and buy one with XP which I am a little more experienced with. They did finally put someone else on the phone and they discovered it was the firewall. I knew it was just a little problem and reformatting would not have changed the situation. GOD BLESS DELL, they have hooked me up with everything I asked. As far as trees go and my information - nobody suggest that planting deep is a problem or any help with the issues I mention and if I don't do it who will? About you car. Your car is like a tree in a sense that it is a system. Maybe you should remove the spark plugs. The same as suggesting we need to remove woody debris (nurse logs) from a forest for health. The system functions better with spark plus and the different ecological stages of trees. If I had a solution for your car I would offer it.
My tree has a problem and insects, fungus, bacteria, animals as well are present. What should I do? If I killed everything would it help my tree? What chemical should I use?
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

My husband is a Dell employee. He is in the highest esculation position possible. He gets all the irates and cursing and screaming people which are impossible and many of those people ask their question. He'll then say "Left click on your mouse," and there have been more than a few who actually say, "What's a mouse?" Dell has turned into a run of the mill operation. No longer do they have award winning support. They shipped it out to India, South America, and they pay those people between 1,000 and 1,500 dollars US per year. So before you go "God Blessing" Dell, consider there will be a grand total of 8,000 lay offs coming this year.
My husband loves his job, don't get me wrong, and he is Dell's biggest supporter when it comes to team mentality, but really, they are not worthy of your blessings any more. It's a damn shame too.
Jangchub wrote:

Your husband should enjoy this:
http://www.flixxy.com/offshore-outsourcing.htm

Dot heads + customer support = suckfest
The 8,000 layoffs are Dell's own god damn fault. Screw 'em.

Tell hubby to find another job before Dell screws him too. Bail while he has the chance.