Composting Office Paper

Page 2 of 2

server.bigpond.net.au%3E
"Once lead is locked up in organic material such as peat, it tends to stay put rather than being washed away by water. "
<<My city does not ... but even if they did, I would not be donating my scrap paper to them. I would still compost it, as I do now. My reading on composting tells me to rely on a hot compost pile and a long aging cycle (at least 1 year) to detoxify darn near anything that might get dumped into the pile. Even diesel fuel, PCB's and DDT vanish (IIRC, PCB's need 2 years aging). >>

So....your compost heap/unit is self contained, sealed off from the groundwater?
Linda H., composter of paper

It only takes about 1 month to compost a few inches of paper in a worm composter. I've figured that if the worms are alive and healthy then the compost can't be too bad.
wonderful i'll print this and compost it

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 07:22:37 -0800, Tallgrass wrote:

I am relying on research conducted by others (read http://www.humanmanure.org for details). I don't make a practice of using my compost pile to get rid of excess PCB's but I feel I can rely upon it to dispatch all the contaminants it is likely to see in normal use.
It's not a fetish, it's a garden on the edge of a major city.
Bill
The office paper where I work is great for compost...Almost as much %^#@ as Black Kow Manure....1.0-1.0-1.0.

groundwater?
Phaedrine Stonebridge wrote:

Same soy base . . . soy makes wonderful biodegrageable plastics, did you know?
Chris Owens