Composting Kraft Paper?

I'm looking for a biodegradable liner to put in the droppings tray of quail cages I will build. This so I can add it to my compost bin. Kraft brown or brown indented paper sounds like a good idea. From previous posts it sounds like kraft paper is very recyclable.

My compost bin has never completely functioned, mostly because it is disproportionately grass clippings (Nitrogen). The Coturnix quail droppings will be high nitrogen too, but I would expect that the kraft paper will add more carbon to the mix.

It's not very feasible to shred it finely since it will be covered with droppings and likely damp. More likely it be crumpled up wads of 24"x36" sheets with quail droppings wrapped up in them.

So how fast will it break down if not shredded? Mixed with grass clippings and some small number of leaves and weeds.

Nathan Near Portland, OR

Reply to
Nathan Mellor

That's "craft" paper, like in arts and crafts.

Its not made out of cheese, you silly goose.

I know, a Google search turns up listings under the name "kraft paper". Its probably to make it easier for dyslexic finger painters to get a hold of paper to play with.

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

In the trade (and I was in the trade for 18 years) it's called Kraft Paper, you silly duck.

Reply to
Ricky

You don't have to shred it. However, it will take longer to compost. Just how long depends, among other things, on how frequently you turn it. At a guess, if you turn it 2-4 times in the year you could use it next year. If you turn it once per year, it will take 2 or 3 years. Turning will add air to the pile, which is required for composting.

Newspaper is also OK for composting, and is easier to shred since you just do it after reading (presumably that doesn't get it wet). You will want some sort of balance between the newspaper and the amount of grass you add to the pile. You can also use scrap vegetable matter (assuming you prepare food that includes vegetables). I wouldn't use magazines, since they use different paper and inks, but newspapers are using biodegradable soy-based inks (even the color sections are degradable now). There may be a few small papers that don't but I believe states regulate the environmental impact of newspapers these days.

The point of shredding is to increase the surface area of the material you're composting. This will present more opportunities for the composting organisms to get at the material.

Nathan Mellor wrote:

Reply to
dps

"In the trade (and I was in the trade for 18 years) it's called Kraft Paper, you silly duck."

How sad that is that nobody in the trade is bright enough to correct a simple spelling error. Maybe it from prolonged exposure to toxic fumes or lead in cheap paints.

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

I know its not made of cheese, but I'm also not planning to do art with it. Kraft paper is a much more specific term for what I wan't. I was not referring to a brand name; I don't believe Kraft makes kraft paper.

So, anything on my question?

paper: A paper made essentially from wood pulp produced by a modified sulfate pulping process. It is a comparatively coarse paper particularly noted for its strength, and in unbleached grades is primarily used as a wrapper or packaging material. It can be watermarked, striped, or calendered, and it has an acceptable surface for printing. Its natural unbleached color is brown but by the use of semibleached or fully bleached sulfate pulps it can be produced in lighter shades of brown, cream tints, and white. In addition to its use as a wrapping paper, it is converted into such products as: grocery bags, envelopes, gummed sealing tape, asphalted papers, multiwall sacks, tire wraps, butcher wraps, waxed paper, coated paper, as well as specialty bags and sacks.

Reply to
Nathan Mellor

Generic brown craft paper is specific? Put a brown paper bag over your head and you can be the "Unknown Composter"!!!

Didn't you ever hear of using old newspaper to line bird cages? Or are you like our president Dubya and don't (can't?) read newspapers?

> Kraft paper: A paper made essentially from wood pulp produced by a > modified

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

True if I shred it right after reading, but probably not if it has been under the bird cage. ;)

So it sounds like either newspaper or "the paper made essentially from wood pulp produced by a modified sulfate pulping process" will work. I don't know which will neccessarily work better for either the cage or the pile, but that gives me two good options.

I wonder if I should start reading a newspaper? ;)

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Mellor

So given your experience, you find newspaper to be a vastly superior product to "a paper made essentially from wood pulp produced by a modified sulfate pulping process" for the uses I described? Now there's a useful answer assuming I get a newspaper.

^^^^ And when did that spelling get blessed?

I know, a Google search turns up listings under the name "Dubya". ;)

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Mellor

It's not a spelling error. It's not paper for crafts. It's paper for wrapping. The name comes from the color - kraft brown. And you're still a silly duck.

Reply to
Ricky

And a babaloo to you, Little Ricky!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

Kraft is the correct spelling. Kraft is the German word for Strong, The paper used for grocery bags is kraft paper. There is also paper used for arts and crafts, sold as craft paper.

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******
Reply to
RWL

Right on! Tell 'em RWL. He may no plants but he don't squat about Kraft paper. So now I'm wondering what came first Kraft Paper or the color Kraft Brown (see Crayola for details.)

Reply to
Ricky

You did it again dyslexic dick. That's "know plants".

You are definitely one illiterate cheese head.

Its the plain brown paper that a dead fish on your doorstep is wrapped in!!!!

Not at all surprised that you still play with crayons.

You probably made too much of a mess with your finger paints!!!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

Brain moving faster than hands. Near-sighted yes, dyslexic no.

Now that I take exception to. I'm a Bear's fan.

Our fish come from sushi bars. Not wrapped in Kraft Paper.

Ah, but at least I'm talented enough to know how to color!

You are so easily riled. And so much fun to tease. It's a shame that your attitude can't compete with your plant knowledge.

Reply to
Ricky

My gawd, what a disturbed individual.

Reply to
Joe

Subject: Re: Composting Kraft Paper? Lines: 46 X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180 X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original Message-ID: NNTP-Posting-Host: 4.155.36.72 X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net X-Trace: newssvr19.news.prodigy.com 1107179917 ST000 4.155.36.72 (Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:58:37 EST) NNTP-Posting-Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:58:37 EST Organization: SBC

^\BZJ]T@FLNLBWLOOAF@YUDUWYAKVUOPCW[ML\JXUCKVFDYZKBMSFX^OMSAFNTINTDDMVW[X\THOPXZRVOCJTUTPC\_JSBVX\KAOTBAJBVMZTYAKMNLDI_MFDSSOLXINH__FS^\WQGHGI^C@E[A_CF\AQLDQ\BTMPLDFNVUQ_VMDate: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:58:37 GMT Xref: pd7hu0no rec.gardens:30375796 X-Received-Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:59:24 MST (pd7tw3no)

snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

Reply to
Joe

Look in the mirror and you will see a truly disturbed individual, fascist Joe Bob.

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

You leave absolutely no doubt that you really are a twisted evil fascist coward, Joe Bob.

Why don't you do something constructive like protest the regime that has the US in a free fall national debt and recession instead of showing what a petty prissy jerk you are in a newsgroup?

Reply to
Cereus-validus...