Composting garden vegetation

I have two 5'x5' raised garden beds where I had a lot of garden vegetation this year. Since I live in a townhouse, I have no place to easily dump the waste.

I would like to compost this material into the soil. What is the best way to do this? It is now the start of winter and so far I have cut up all of the vegetation as best as I could and turned it over into the soil. There is still a good bit on top of the soil.

Is there anything I can add to the soil to speed the process? I was going to turn the soil every month or so to assist.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Scott

Google 'solarization' for some good ideas.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

There are some plants you should not turn into the soil such as peppers and tomato. Turning the soil helps, but avoid doing this if the soil is wet! You could add some nitrogen (34-0-0) to the soil, but avoid doing this 60 days prior to planting.

Reply to
Phisherman