composting

Was having problem with fruit flies in my garbage so I started putting fruit remnants in a bag in the fridge and then put in the garbage on garbage day. Banana peels, apple cores, melon rinds, etc. Would probably be better if I composted the stuff though instead of going to the landfill. But if I just throw it out in the garden won't that attract flies and fruit flies, and coons, etc. Should it be buried?
Gus wrote:

yes, it does help to bury it deeply enough that the critters won't get to it.
songbird