Compost teas as a foliar innoculant

What do people make of this situation.
I brewed up a batch of compost tea to apply to the lawn as an early autumn fertiliser. A couple of rose bushes had an infestation of woolly aphid and thrip so I liberally sprayed them with the compost tea mix. A week or so later the aphids and thrip had all but gone.
I concluded either I drowned them, there was some nice microbiology in the compost tea that killed or drove off the pests, or the smell was so rank the pests couldn't live with it.
Any opinions welcome.