Compost Question

Hi all,
I've got a compost bin and was wondering when I should stop adding to it so that I can use well-rotted compost on my veg patch next Spring?
It's a plastic dalek-style compost bin, from the council.
Cheers
Lucretian
PS. See yous all at the Beanpole Festival, the Green Wood Centre, Ironbridge, Shropshire - Sat 19 April, 11am-4pm - the launch of National Beanpole Week -see www.greenwoodcentre.org.uk for more info.
--
Lucretian

Add pictures here
✖

Look at this in time.
Bill
<http://www.newfarm.org/depts/NFfield_trials/2006/0413/compost.shtml
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Add pictures here
✖

Very interesting. Doable at home perhaps, except for where does one obtain leonardite coal dust? I couldn't find consumer amounts anywhere. Gypsum and clay.....no problem. Speaking of clay, couldn't one use the clay litter that one buys for cats poo or oil absorption? Not the funny stuff, just straight granulated clay.
Gypsum from sheetrock scraps, I would assume, without having investigated yet. Do you think one would benefit just from the addition of gypsum and clay?
sighhh.....so much to learn, eh? :-)
Thanks, once again, for the mental stimulation.
--
Charlie, listening to "The Wall"....

"Sitting in a bunker here behind my wall
✖
On Mar 28, 10:25 pm, Charlie wrote:

leaonardite = "soft coal"; halfway on the road from peat to "real" coal. gotta say, i hadn't thought of it as compost candidate before.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:41:17 +0000, Lucretian

Next spring? If I waited THAT long, all my compost would disappear! I have 4 bins going, and recently have shredded last fall's leaves which already have been decomposing. For your situation, move the contents to a chicken wire bin and start again. I guess compost happens fast in east TN.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

I have two bins - 240 litre capacity each. I dump stuff into one, until it is full, and then let it sit while I fill the other bin. It takes months, because of having a relatively small amount of material. By the time both bins are full, the old is ready to be emptied out.
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /

I simply keep adding and when I need the compost dig it all out, use what is usable & chuck the rest back in the bin.
rob
Add pictures here
✖