compost quantity

I have a small compost pile into which I pile garden cuttings, leaves and other vegetative waste material and a little manure from my few pigeons and hens. I end up with a nice little pile of compost each year but not nearly enough. I would like to buy ingredients to produce a much larger quantity of compost. I am considering buying a few bales of alfalfa and bags of steer or chicken manure for this purpose. I'm concerned that manure might contain a few unsavory ingredients(hormones,insecticides, etc.) Would appreciate any ideas regarding this or other possible easily acquired but uncontaminated material -Jet

Reply to
Jet Dove

Every fall I pick up scores of bags of raked up leaves, which get shredded and put into heavy-weight plastic bags for storage. These are used the next year to make compost and mulch flowers and veggies. It is so convenient that people rake these up and bag them for me (well, actually for the township) to collect.

It just seem like the more I collect, the more I actually find use for and the more I need.

I float again, the proposition that there is money to be made selling baled, shredded autumn leaves...

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

I do that, but even better. I live on a through road with lots of frontage. I put up two signs at the far end of my property: Fall is "Leaves Wanted" and Spring/Summer is "Grass clippings wanted".

I pile them up, turn the pile three or four times a year and then sell the result back to the landscapers who contribute leaves and grass clippings.

I made 50 yards last year and this year's crop looks about triple that. At $50 per yard, it is a pretty profitable business.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

Do they collect "yard waste" from your neighborhood? You could go around and steal/take a few "yard waste" bags with lawn clippings and such, it is completely legal and free.

Ignoramus25707

Or better, just ask your neighbors, and pick up from the ones that don't use undesirable chemicals.

Bob

go

clippings and

cuttings, leaves