Compost Piles & Ants

Page 1 of 2
My method all this summer has been to pile greens (coffee grounds / kitchen scraps, mostly) layered with browns (shredded newspapers and leaves) in a corner of my back yard. I live WAY out in the country, so aesthetics are not a problem.
My plan was to take this lovely stuff and pile it on my lasagna-gardened flower beds after the first couple of frost.
This a.m., I was out there, shoveling into three 40 gal. trash cans in preparation, and that stuff is eaten up with ants. And the ants became furious at the shoveling activity and bit the hell outta me.
The 3 trash cans are just gonna sit there, 'cause frost is probably 30 - 45 days away (South Carolina -- Zone 8).
WILL the cold kill the little rat bastards? IF I simply leave it there until April, will the little biting things be dead?
To prevent future outbreaks, I plan to fling a few handfuls, amongst the layers, of ant killer pellets as I build up my pile again. It makes me sad to introduce chemicals, but it ain't fun to play in your compost pile if you have to battle little creatures who hate your guts and are willing to prove it with every shovel full.
Donna

Do you plan to use your poisoned compost in a garden where you grow food?
Doug Kanter wrote:

Nope. Just flowers.
Donna
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:35:22 GMT, Donna demotic

You're killing off Microarthropods as well!!!!
But heck as long as you only poison flowers.....duh!
these words:

Ants like dry places. All you need do is soak the compost-pile very thoroughly and they'll move out.
Janet.
Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

Too cool! Easily done and no chemical!
Thanks!
Donna
contains

<shaking head> No wonder most of the fish I catch are full of chemicals.
contains

You fish in compost piles?
:D
contains

very
That doesn't deserve a response. If you reach the age of 18 and don't know how chemicals end up in wildlife, you're hopeless.

Did you notice that no one was paying any attention to your snarks except for my one reply? I was hoping you'd catch on to let up but I guess you haven't reached your majority yet, either.
Giselle (<sigh>)

know
Giselle, in case you haven't noticed, there's still an enormous contingent of people who believe pesticides are probably safe, and that all the hubbub is for nothing. For these people, a bucket of cold water over the head is just the thing.

I use whatever is needed to get my lawn and gardens in good condition and keep them that way. (Of course I don't use anything poisonous on my vegetable gardens.)
However, I would also be concerned about using poisons in my compost pile because whatever you use to kill the ants will most likely have a negative effect on the worms, and micro-organisms needed to convert the compost to good soil.

except
you
contingent
is
Well, just keep in mind that everything you put on your lawn ends up SOMEWHERE. Some of it ends up washed into storm drains, and that may end up in your drinking water and/or a nearby lake. In the lake, it ends up in the fish that you or someone else (perhaps your kids or grandkids) want to eat at some point.
Homeowners have replaced industry as the largest source of pesticide/herbicide pollution.

Ever heard of "Chicken Little?"
Seems strange that we are poisoning our lands and waters so terribly, but yet life expectancy keeps extending every year.

But life expectancy is not quality of life. * Health costs keep going up. We have more sick people. * Cancer rates keep going up. * Diabetes rates keep going up. * Heart disease keeps affecting more people. * New diseases are emerging every year. * New nursing homes are being built each year. * Medicare expenses are increasing each year. * More people are being rescued from death by our health care system.
Imagine how long life expectancy would be if we had today's health care system, today's wide variety of healthy foods, and clean air and clean water.
We don't own the earth, we just use it a while and pass it on to our children and grandchildren.

There are more and more people being born and living to old age each year. Life expectancy and the quality of life have never been higher or better.

We have more people in general plus many people living to an old age therefore the cost of living in all area keeps going up, not just in health care.

Again the population and the age of the population keeps going up by leaps and bounds. More and more cancers are being prevented and/or treated successfully and cured.

Diet and the lack of exercise are the main causes of most cases of diabete, at least type II.

Again most heart diseases are caused by diet and life style. Plus the population is living to an older age.

And more diseases are being prevented and cured all the time. Many of these new diseases are coming from third world countries that use no or very little chemicals.

Because the population is living longer,

Has nothing to do with the subject.

Again, this has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Most of our "healthy foods" are available because of the chemicals used by farmers.
Want to live a long and healthy life. Eat right, don't smoke and exercise regularly. At least that is the advice your doctor will give you.

No, we don't own the earth, but we do live on it much longer than our ancestors did and we are much healther and better fed than they were.

Actually, farmers in this country are using less chemicals than 20 years ago. Cost is the main reason, as well as their ability to grow varieties which don't require as much treatment.
By the way, before this discussion takes a detour, let's define "chemicals", since it was me who started this mess. I'm talking about pesticides & herbicides, not chemical fertilizers.
Now: This past summer, I heard an NPR news story about doctors investigating a particular type of cancer. If I recall, it was pancreatic, although it might've been prostate. Doesn't matter. Anyway, the doctor said they were initially curious as to why Japan had such a low rate of this disease. They did the usual studies and almost settled on genetics as the answer, until they looked at a large group of Japanese-Americans, factored in (or out) diet as much as possible, and found that after living here for a certain period of time, this group had the disease as often as the population as a whole. The theory: Once someone lives in our fishbowl, they end up with the same problems.
The chemical companies like to point out that because the environment is such a complex system, it's extremely difficult to prove a connection between a pesticide and the diseases it may cause. They're right. But, by making that statement, they are completely nullifying *all* the so-called research they used to point at (beginning in the 1960s) which supposedly proved that certain products were safe.
In fact, without a valid test population of HUMANS, in a study conducted in the same way as those done for new drugs, you will never see proof of the safety of any agricultural/garden chemicals. Therefore, they only sane course is to use little or none.
You heard me.
If you don't, we're gonna get Puffy after you!!!!
On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:51:56 GMT, "Cereus-validus."

Or suffer a fate worse than death.....4 more years of Bush
Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel. -- Aldo Leopold

eat
Like I said, there are still people......
What's your personal and scientific opinion regarding dioxin and mercury in fish? No links, no cut & paste jobs. YOUR opinion.