COMPOST PILE:Turning over, and lime

I have a compost pile and asked earlier whether turning it over was necessary. It was difficult to do with a shovel. Well, I went out and bought a very nice "Earth Tools" garden fork with neoprene, fiberglass handles, etc etc. Turning over compost with that fork is trivial!

I could see quite good rotting action inside the pile, as well.

Also saw a black mouse living there. It is amazing that the compost was comprised of wet chicken shit and stuff, and yet the mouse was completely clean looking.

Now, a question: I heard that adding a bit of lime to compost would speed up rotting and make better compost. Is that true? Why? If it is true, how much lime to add?

Ignoramus29645

Hi,

Earlier, people believe adding a small amout of lime or wood ashes will help to speed up decomposition at earlier stage, especially pine needles and other acidic are in great amount. But latest they said it's not recommended anymore.

This is from my compost notes, don't know where it come from already.

[Compost notes start]

It was once thought that ground limestone should be added to the compost pile. This is no longer considered necessary since the organisms function well with a pH of between 4.2 and 7.2. The compost naturally will become less acid as it matures. Adding lime helps convert ammonium nitrogen to ammonia gas, which can create an odor problem as it escapes from the pile and can reduce the nutrient content of the finished compost. Adding lime may also cause the pH of the finished compost to be higher than optimal for plant growth.

[Compost notes end]

Regards, Wong

-- Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Reply to
nswong

Thanks, I guess I won't do it.

Ignoramus29645

If you want to speed up the compost and don't have enough green material, soak a bag of rabbit food from a feed store (alfalfa pellets) and mix it in.

Reply to
cat daddy

I have plenty of green material from chicken bedding. I probably do not have enough brown material.

Ignoramus29645

I've included shredded brown paper lawn bags, grocery sacks and soy-ink newspapers when that happens.........

Reply to
cat daddy

There are a number of ways to speed the composting process (proper brown/green mix, moisture, air, temperature, etc). Compost typically buffers the pH to neutral. Do not add lime unless you plan to use it for alkaline-loving plants. Stick to adding organic materials to the compost.

Reply to
Phisherman

Also be kind to the mouse, after all that is his home.

Henry

Reply to
Henry Etta