compost on lawn

I have never used compost on my lawn. It's a 3 year old lawn. We have lot of clay in this area (zone 7b/8a). There's quite a bit of rocks too thanks to the lousy builder.
Whenever we mow, we leave the grass clippings on the lawn. We want to use compost also this year to see if it makes any difference to the health of the lawn.
How much compost should I add to the lawn? How should I do it? When should I do it? Any other info you can provide would be great.
Thanks
Do it in the fall after areating the lawn. Top dress it with about 1/4 inch.

On 2 May 2004 18:58:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (ted) wrote:

Leaving the grass clipping, or better yet using a mulching mower will provide a continuous supply of compost as the clipping decompose. I would apply the compost, then overseed. Not sure about your particular climate (we have harsh summers), but I would apply the compost in the fall after mowing the lawn short, about a 1/4 to 1/2" layer. One drawback...I applied mushroom compost to my lawn and the following year had a horrible time with weeds, even though the compost was very hot and steamy. I use processed organic products on the lawn instead.

The action of worms should soon cover any stones. Very large ones remove by hand. That you leave the cuttings in situ means that you are removing no nutrients and so none should be needed. Clay is the final stage of rock deterioration before it becomes minerals~~so no fertiliser may be needed. The grass should improve with nothing added though top dressing will expedite the improvement. We have very fine lawns, centuries old, that have never been treated by myself, parents or g,parents. The mower set to a height that would not shame a pool table!! Cut three times a week. Best Wishes Brian.