Compost Heap. Horse Manure. Pathogens.

The string of illness and death due to contaminated leaf spinach was traced to a field across the street from a herd of cows. Wild pigs were running thru the cow pats and on into the field of spinach carrying the bacteria with them.

Ingrid Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo

Not to get into your debates here, but I would like some info/leads on the groups where this was rampant. TIA Gunner

Reply to
gunner

New Guinea See: Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond

Wild Billy

Just rinse my organic carrots please.

Here in the good ol' U.S.of A., we like our shit factory fresh. Whether it be rat or bat shit in our peanuts, or collateral damage from our CAFOs, we just suck it down. It costs money to run a clean operation. You can't expect a company to be into social welfare. They privatize the profits, and socialize the costs (doctor's visits).

on the humane treatment of animals front,

Wild Billy

Indeed. And I thought the CDC was a very strange choice of site given that the disease has not ever been in the US.

The Merkins I was referring to are

Some American can be very severe pains in the posterior but then so are some of every nationality.

That is 100% death rate if you believe your cite of the CDC. Even Ebola is not that lethal.

Reply to
FarmI

As I said, the appropriate analysis is game theory. The cost of getting the Hendra Virus is death, but the probability of doing so is almost zero.

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
nmm1

Our dogs never used to do it - now you've got me wondering why. Dead kangaroos or anything else dead, then yes, but not hoof parings. And of course when we neuter the male calves, the way to check the number of males is to count the stones thrown onto the grass, so of course the dogs have to be locked up or otherwise the count is thrown out.

I wonder if there is iron in droppings. Interesting thought that. I guess dog's sense of smell must detect soemthing they want/need for their system.

Reply to
FarmI

You don't keep them for eating? Shocking!

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
nmm1

The only place it USED

The New Guinea cannibal tribes? how disappointing, but thank you for the information anyway, although I do have to tell you there are better information sources than the Amazon book buying hype, unless you are getting paid for hits.

Reply to
gunner

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo

I'm healthy so I use my own munure in the compost pile and have for years. Dav

Reply to
Dav

Yes but you're not paranoid.

You are like most of us, ordinary and use our common sense!!

Reply to
'Mike'