Complete beginner needing help

First off this is my very first attempt to have a garden with actual non-tree plants in it so forgive my stupidity

I am terrified of spiders and bought a house which I now know if infested, removed ivy and everything which seemed to breed them and looking to put plants which wont attract them back infact wanting to repel them.

Got a little rockery which had some trees removed and have no idea what I am putting in there yet but I have thought about a border around the house and some potted plants for decking.

2 plants that are meant to be good for this is lavender and peppermint. Hoping this isnt a myth as it seems a contradiction that it attracts bee's which is great but repels spiders which would like to get their hands on the bee's. However looks to be more than one type of each and not sure what to get and based on the terrible weather we have this year how successful these are likely to be.

Lavender there seems to be lots of types but looking to get non-bushy one to plant a border around the house, Am I right for dampness I need to get these in planters rather than actually around the house?

The other is Peppermint, seems to be 2 common types for seeds Mentha x piperta & Black Peppermint, see plenty pictures of a peppermint plant flowering and looks good, however, the pictures on amazon and ebay dont show flowers and checking with owners on amazon who have bought them they dont flower. idiot question of the day how can you work out which will flower and how long do they flower for?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
xRandyR00x

I use a good insect killing agent, the type you put on the end of your hose and water it in, you then have to stop your irrigation, or avoid placing when rain is forecast , to avoid running into your local sewers/ streams. The alternative would be to use a granule insecticide product, and use a drop spreader to spread it out evening over your yard, could also create a barrier along the base perimeter of your house to keep ants and spider away. Hope this helps

Reply to
Sid in Sacramento