Companion plants for tomatoes

I've been to all the web sites; I used to print out the companions for practically every food crop that can be grown in this area (Southern California coastal, 1 mile from the sea. Often overcast in May and June due to marine layer.)
Still confused about companions for tomatoes. I know what NOT to plant, but some of the sites vary as to what CAN be planted; e.g. some say cucumbers, others not. Question: Can I get tomato companion planting input from any NG members who grow tomatoes in a (reasonably) similar climate?
TIA
HB
On 5/4/2013 8:06 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

practically every food crop that can be grown in this area (Southern California coastal, 1 mile from the sea. Often overcast in May and June due to marine layer.)

some of the sites vary as to what CAN be planted; e.g. some say cucumbers, others not.

I'm not in California. Does the climate matter when it comes to companion planting? Maybe I never did it right, but I've planted jalepeno peppers right next to my tomatoes and both did great. I've also got onions and chocolate mint planted with both my tomatoes and peppers in one bed. In planters I've got tomatoes planted with some cucumbers as an experiment this year. I guess I'll see how that works out.
--
Natural Girl

On 05/04/2013 07:41 PM, Natural Girl wrote:

Hi Natural,
Do you think I'd get away with mixing in a Pablano Chili (Ancho) with my cherry tomatoes? They are both from the Solanaceae (Nightshade) family.
I am wondering it mixing a pepper into my tomatoes would help repel bugs.
-T
On 5/4/2013 10:00 PM, Todd wrote:

I had some pablano planted right next to my jalepenos and come to think of it I didn't even have any bugs eat on any of those plants at all ... peppers or the tomatoes. I'd totally forgotten about the pablanos being planted there until you mentioned it.
--
Natural Girl

On 05/04/2013 08:27 PM, Natural Girl wrote:

Cool

I think I'm going to be ill.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/
Higgs Boson wrote:

What makes you think the idea of companion planting is generally useful? What makes you think that any specific advise regarding tomatoes would therefore also be useful?
I have seen good evidence that some plants are hostile to others, you can with some justification say some plants do not coexist well or at all with others. I have not seen any good evidence that the converse is true, that there are combinations of plants that are 'friendly' in the sense that each benefits specifically by the presence of the other.
To take this further and produce those cross-tabulated tables showing all the combinations of each plant with every other and whether they are friend or foe is extending too little data much too far. I think you will find that (like moon planting) such associations are traditional and based on little evidence.
David
On Saturday, May 4, 2013 9:06:12 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:

practically every food crop that can be grown in this area (Southern California coastal, 1 mile from the sea. Often overcast in May and June due to marine layer.)

some of the sites vary as to what CAN be planted; e.g. some say cucumbers, others not.

The best companion for tomatoes that I have found is sweet basil, convenient also.