Companion Plants for Purple Smokebush

Hi Gang,

Last year I lucked out and bought a 5-gallon container of Continus "Royal Purple" for 6 bucks on clearance at a local farm store. I planted it in a large south border, watered only occasionally, and one year later it's thriving at over 3 ft. with a lovely, even shape and new growth coming on all the time. I intend to prune it yearly to keep it at 5 ft.

My question is this: what perennials (and maybe some annuals) would look good next to this gorgeous shrub? It's bold burgandy color combined with the wrong plant would be a recipe for disaster, I'm afraid, and I really want this to be the centerpiece of the border. FWIW, there's a gold threadleaf Cypress next to it and an Emerald Green Arborvitae on the other. These are the bones of what I intend to be a Japanese style border next year.

I was thinking creams, pinks and maybe a bit of chartreuse to pick up the colors in the Cypress. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
ZuzusPetals

Hakone grass might give you the chartreuse.

Reply to
bamboo

Ultimately it depends on where you are and the particulars of the spot: sun, water, soil, etc. When I think of a Japanese garden, I don't think color as much as texture, shape, and scale. There are many wonderful heucheras in tones from silver to purple, to chartreuse. Creeping Jenny, sedum, and some of the more colorful ajugas might be good for ground cover. There are lovely iris with interesting leaf color and texture. Lady's mantel might be a choice but I don't know if would fit a Japanese garden. Maybe you could browse some websites that feature Japanese gardens and take a trip to a bookstore for some ideas. I would also think about water, or the illusion of water.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Reply to
presley