Community Garden Question

I visited a start up "community" garden run by non gardeners. Apparently this will be designed as a teaching garden for kids.
They are about 9 raised beds built of cinder blocks, ~ 4' * 3'.
Water will be supplied by either rainfall or runoff from a large roof of a community center. There is room for about 8 barrels. I think about 12' vertical fall from where the barrels could be stored. There is talk of a bicycle water pump. Sun looks good, with just shading early and late.
All this is in Atlanta 7b.
I think they want to grow a bit of everything, veggies, flowers and herbs.
I'm looking for ideas of what will be tolerant of care and how to irrigate this.
When I first looked into this I thought there would be someone there that could teach me about gardening, not the other way around!
Jeff

<http://communitygarden.org/connect/
Learning is a two way street.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

You learn best when you teach.
--
- Billy
Billy wrote:

The best advice I've ever given was "Don't take my advice!". So it's best that they learn something, that works, too. ;-)
Jeff
Bill who putters wrote:

That looks perfect.
Jeffs