Colonial house plantings recommendation

Zone 5. I own a center hall colonial. My planting scheme in the front of the house is going to be a bit formal. I was thinking of putting some skyrocket junipers, and perhaps some oakleaf hydrangeas surrounded by boxwoods. Wondering what else you might use in this situation. Going for a symmetrical look. Thanks.
Jack Wrote:

Hi Jack,
Oakleaf hydrangea is not a formal shrub and is not evergreen. Sound like you have full to part sun. Are you looking for something tha blooms? How tall and wide?
New
-- Newt
I just really like the oakleaf's, thats why I wanted them in front. The look we want is less leafy, but some blooming (if that makes any sense.)
I always see lots of plants in the nursery I like, I just never know where to put them !! For example, saw a beautiful mockorange that I have no idea where I would put three of them :)

Jack Wrote:

Hi Jack,
I haven't forgotten you, just trying to come up with some ideas here. I don't think you ever answered my questions, so help me out here.
How tall? How wide (how deep is the bed)? Full sun, part sun, part shade, shade? Evergreen since it's in front of the house?
Also, how about Irish Yew instead of the sky rocket junipers? The have more girth, though they will get tall if you don't trim the tops. http://tinyurl.com/9372j
One more observation on my part. If you put the narrow and tal junipers (or any other tall plant that isn't rounded) on the oute corners, then you will be accenting the boxy shape of the house. The are like an exclamation point. You might want to look at som landscape design books, especially on Colonial houses.
If it were my house, I would definately use evergreens as a base especially in zone 5.
New
-- Newt
Is this a Colonial, or Colonial Revival house?
email: snipped-for-privacy@beyondgardening.com
Jack wrote:

Maybe you should spend a day at Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown. Note the plants they used and how they were arranged.

house
You should avoid the symmetric look. If this is for a foundation planting, I would avoid skyrocket junipers since they really do skyrocket once established. You want something that is a little slower growing. One common mistake is also to plant too close to the house.
Where are you located?
-al sung Rapid Realm Technology, Inc. Hopkinton, MA Zone 6a