Collecting autumn leaves & council spraying weeds in gutter

A workmate is putting together some raised vege gardens so I have been collecting leaf fall for her around the frosts and thunder storms.
On my way to work a couple of days ago I watched a council worker spraying weeds along the gutters. He went along spraying whatever was there, including a big pile of leaves. I shook my head. The start of winter and a few days after heavy frosts, things won't be growing prolificly. Later that day we got rain. The next day a street sweeping truck came along and swept all the gutters clean. A waste of time spraying I thought.
rob