Cold frame advice

I'm considering putting together some cold frames to get an early start on some cabbages, brocolli, etc. this year. Does anyone have any practical advice they would like to share? How to build them, where to put them, what not to do, etc.?

Key is having some kind of temperature control device - so that when the sun comes out you don't fry things. There are some reasonably priced devices that are designed to open vents that require no electricity - they work on heat energy.
Hard to make other recommendations as you haven't said anything about size, where you are located, or other details.
Good luck!

Small - brobably nothing more than a box a few feet long with plastic covering the front. My time and resources are quite limited right now. Maybe a dozen or so cabbages, a dozen or so chinese cabbages, maybe some brocolli and cauliflower. I may just plant them in a small planter inside and move them outdoors in a month or two.
Location - southern Wilamatter Valley, Oregon, about a half hour drive south of Salem, not far from Oregon State University.

_Crockett's Victory Garden_ by Jim Crockett had a nice design. Quite inexpensive and easy to make- 1/8" plywood, a couple of hinges and a sheet of plexiglass. I am thinking of the first edition- I don't know if later editions still have it.
Chris