Colchicums!

Today in Calgary (zone 3A) I noticed about a dozen of these have come out, with completely mature flower heads, albeit closed in today's overcast and cold conditions (-8 celcius). I guess with this week's highs of +8 it was enough.
Strangely they last appeared November 2001.
Haven't seen any in the Ottawa valley. It was -33C last night

for those of us who aren't doing the metric, could you humor us and convert those temperatures to Please? Thanks! madgardener where it's a densly foggy, wet, miserable winter day that more resembles Oregon or Washington right now or even England and is 43o F up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, unable to see English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

out,
and
was
You will love this, it works both ways & you don't have to do the math! I have a shortcut on my Taskbar.
http://www.nomoreodor.com/celsius_to_fahrenheit_conversion.htm
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

You might find this a little more convenient:
http://www.albireo.ch/temperatureconverter /
For temps below 0 C, the formula for F is 32 minus 9/5 x C. In this case, - 8 C = 17.6 F. A little chillier than the holler, though 43 makes me shiver in northern CA! Tom Walnut Creek, CA, USA (To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX)

So, it has been cooler for the last couple of days, just over freezing during the day but bright and sunny. How are the Colchicums doing now?
They are supposed to bloom in October here, aren't they?
Delurking out of boredom and as a procrastination ploy, Dora