coffee grounds

I was the recipient of a HUGE bag of coffee grounds, about 25 lbs, this week. Since my garden is a very small balcony I don't have anywhere to compost. Can I just mulch the pots and empty window boxes, using it as a top dressing. I went into a cleaning frenzy last weekend and pulled, clipped, trimmed and spiffed up everything. Filled three large trash bags, this sort of hurt since I long for a compost bin, oh well. I then filled all my planters and pots with spring and summer flowering bulbs. It looks very bare but sure lets a lot more light into the living room. I'm going to be scouting the nursery nearby for some deep shade perennials on sale that I can tuck into a few of these planters. I'm trying to figure out a place for a worm bin. I'm sure it would be too cold outside this winter, even if I figured out where I could tuck it, but there is NO place inside. I only have two closets and they are a Rubik's Cube of storage engineering.
Val http://photos.yahoo.com/valkyriemi
I've been getting Starbuck's used grounds for my plants for a long time. They do make good mulch but use sparingly. I also find that they tend to contain flies (maggots) and gnats so you might want to bake it before spreading it on indoor plants.
Vermicomposting is great indoors. I kept a stack of 5gal rubbermaids under my kitchen sink without any troubles. To prevent smells, make sure your brown:green=3:1 by weight. You have to take the whole thing outside once a month and to pour out the drip tray and let the bottom tray breath. Worms love coffee grounds. :)
Why would the grounds contain maggots? You must be going to an unusual Starbucks. I also pick up coffee grounds from Starbucks and either use it as mulch or in my compost. Never have seen one maggot.
--
Compostman
Washington, DC
Compostman wrote: