coastal Eng planting

I hope no one minds my instrusion here. I am desperately trying to study what sort of things I can get away with growing. In one month I will be moving from somewhere incredibly warm and tropical to the English southern coast (not the warmer Cornwell side, though. It is apparently more of a patio than garden (I haven't seen it myself!), so I am wondering if I can get away with filling it with potted plants whose bases I could wrap warmly in winter. I've no idea, really, as I can throw any corm, seed or living organism into my garden here and it will grow. I have friends enough in England whose quaint little English gardens I can enjoy and visit and want to have my patio/garden full of things which will help me not to be so homesick. I hate to leave my champaca trees behind, but I have to. Can anyone make suggestions for plants who are looking tropical but are maybe hardy enough to survive southern England? There will be NO room in the house for any plants in the winter, alas, it is extremely tiny..... Thank you in advance..

Lili Adonie

Reply to
lili today, who knows tomorrow

I will give the same advice as I gave regarding container trees for Scotland. Ask on uk.rec.gardening.

Reply to
David Hill

Agree. The UK seems to be composed of a wide variety of micro-climates. uk.rec.gardening may very well yield answers from people who live and garden in exactly the area you're contemplating.

Reply to
Frogleg