Clover Control

Page 3 of 3

<http://www.ncsu.edu/sustainable/cover/l_mulch.html
Looks like it should be renewed every 4 years and notice the slug issue.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
On 5/20/10 3:57 PM, Frank McElrath wrote:

Phew! A lot of people are defending clover. But in the present situation it's a plant growing where is is not wanted. And the present question is how to be rid of it. Instead of defending clover, advise McElrath how to remove it without resorting to WMD.
I have two daylilies growing where I don't want them. I don't like the color of these two. I don't like the fact that they bloom only 2-3 times a year instead of almost constantly like some of my other daylilies. And I don't like the fact that they are crowded some other plants that I want to grow in my garden. When I remove AND TRASH these daylilies, I certainly don't want a herd of daylily defenders trying to lynch me.
And when McElrath gets rid of his unwanted clover, don't lynch him either.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Clover is the least of my lawn problems. I used Weed Be Gone this year with pretty good results on all the other weeds, but it didn't appear to do anything to the clover. So I'd say Google it. This looks promising:
http://www.bladeslawncare.com/howtokillclover.html
On Thu, 27 May 2010 21:16:29 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Murderers, murderers! <g>
I didn't actually follow the link - to each his own. My wish is that someday clover is a friend to you all, not to be eradicated, but who knows if my wish is a good one?
Bees love white clover - I guess not good if you've got kids. I was afraid of bees when I was a kid. Now I'm growing old and depend on red clover to keep night sweats and hot flashes at bay. Works really well for me.
If it's a bee problem, as soon as you mow the blossoms, no more bees visiting the clover.
On 5/27/10 6:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notme.com wrote:

I get only yellow clover. It has burrs that are difficult to remove from my clothing, especially my socks.
Fortunately, my animal has no fur to hold the burrs. See <http://www.rossde.com/Cleo.html . Owners of furry pets often curse clover because of the burrs. (And don't start a harangue about the morality of owning animals.)
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
On Thu, 27 May 2010 21:56:23 -0700, "David E. Ross"

Interesting. I'd never heard of yellow clover/burr medic.
Here, the burrs are from something in the wild carrot family.
David E. Ross wrote:

Long ago here someone asked me to give my wild multiflora roses away instead of killing them.
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/romu1.htm

I gave up on the perfect lawn years ago. The cost, the toxins, the labor. Fighting nature is a lost cause. Nature will always win in the end. Work with nature don't fight it. Repeat this over and over, it will save you "I love clover, clover is beautiful, clover is good". You will feel much better. If you follow your current path of weed and feed, it will lead only to despair and misery year after year.
Daylilies!!!! May God have mercy on your soul :)
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

The easy way to get rid of clover is an 18 inch mouldboard plow. roll the clover under and then lightly disk the surface before planting. The clover will become humus and help with long-term plant growth.
The hard way is anything less than this. Chemicals work, but can do damage to other plants in the area. Clover seed is fertile for up to 7 years after it drops on the ground. Most weed killers will not kill the seed. Roots can go as deep as a foot, depending on the kind of clover, so a simple roto-tiller will not get rid of the roots of some species.
removing it to 3 or 4 inches and replacing the area with tightly grown sod can work to stop most clover species. Covering the area with a black tarp for a period of several months if it is in the sun can help kill both the clover and the seed, but is not fool proof. The tarp should be water proof and not allow sunlight through. Remember to cover all the clover (or grass) and an area at least a foot larger in each direction if possible. This is best done in the summer. It should kill about everything under it.
Like grass, clover is a ground cover that has evolved to survive grazing animals, fires, floods, and various other natural disasters, that having been said, it is darn hard to get rid of. Best of luck.

I'm sorry, but where you find one error, one can expect to find others.
Clear vs. Colored Plastic Transparent or clear plastic is most effective for solarization. Black plastic, often used for mulching, does not heat the soil as well as clear plastic. <http://vric.ucdavis.edu/pdf/soil_solarization.pdf

--
- Billy
In article

If solarization was the only issue, then clear would be great. but you are also trying to stop germination and growth. In 40+ years of organic growing, I have found black plastic gets rid of stuff better than clear or colored. For heating the soil in the spring I use clear and use clear for quick germination of seeds in the spring as well up north here. But if I want to clear an area, black is my choice.
Billy wrote:

Black = No photosynthesis = dead plants