Clover Control

Page 1 of 3
I have a bad clover problem here in the DC area. As much as I hate to use chemicals, I may have to. We are planning to take a 3 week vacation starting at the beginning of August.
Would I do damage to my grass if I sprayed a weedkiller on right before we left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?

Nah not a problem I'd try to get some 3/4 dca to kill kill kill.
Moron
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

How long have you been afflicted with a personality disorder?

All my life, how long have you been using chemicals in such an asinine manner?
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Never. That's why I am asking, you inbred cretin.
x-no-archive: yes
On 5/20/2010 7:56 PM, Frank McElrath wrote:

I'm loving all the warm fuzzies.
Susan

Well once in awhile i'll call some one a fool or an ass. No reason just stupid responses I have done too many times but I try to give substance . My button revolves around perfecting sterile environments that look "good" but are hazardous to well water life etc. Guess my fuse is short with this minor leak in the Gulf.
Sort of crazy may be due to cretin leanings.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
x-no-archive: yes
On 5/20/2010 8:14 PM, Bill who putters wrote:

I'm definitely with you on the use of chemical weed killer and such.
I'm not admitting to any cretinhood, however.
Susan

Would someone please pull the curtain for a moment?
--
- Billy
Frank McElrath wrote:

What is wrong with clover? What catastrophe would ensue if you had clover in your lawn?
David
David Hare-Scott wrote:

My understanding is that a clover lawn seldom needs mowing, requires less water and fertilizer, and is naturally nearly weed free when established.
http://landscaping.about.com/cs/lawns/a/clover_lawns_3.htm
So much for the pluses, all of this is balanced by being able to be killed by broad leaf plant poisons. The beauty of grass lawns is a marketing invention of the chemical companies supplying broad leaf toxins. Suburbia has largely bought into this.
Jeff

well, it's low growing so you don't have to mow as often, it has flowers that the bees really love, and it doesn't brown out too badly if it's dry & a tiny bag (half pound) of seed covers 7000 square foot. horrible stuff, clover... lee

Yes but clover may increase the drag on a golf ball which may be of import somewhere. Some weird folks eat it. Whew!!! <http://www.prodigalgardens.info/red%20clover%20recipes.htm
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

so, look where you walk. i managed to get to 55 walking in bare feet/playing on clover filled lawns (my dad never bought into the golf course greens lawn thing in the 50s) without getting stung on the feet. in fact, the only things that have ever stung me were yellowjackets & wasps, never honeybees. my 10 year old has never been stung by anything... the chemicals that kill broadleaf weeds/clover are a hell of a lot worse for kiddos in bare feet than bee stings anyway! lee

The catastrophe is that it spreads to flower beds and crowds out plants that you want to grow.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

really? i have lamb's quarter, oxalis, stinging nettle, & a few other odd weeds in my flower beds, but no clover. i have used clover as a cover crop & tilled it in in my veggie garden. no clover. it's not that big an issue. lee
David E. Ross wrote:

From my 40 some years experience with clover in lawns, I've never seen a big problem with it spreading to flower beds. Not that it doesn't, but it's a lot easier to pull clover out of a mulched flower bed then it is to pull grass that spread into the same flower bed.
Tony

I love clover, especially red, but crimson is pretty and is a good cover crop. Yellow sweet clover - I love the smell, although I think its in the pea family and not really a clover. You probably have white clover, which I also have plenty of. I need to buy some crimson clover seed - I haven't grown that in a few years.
Thanks for the reminder! Can't help with with weedkillers - never used them. Mowing seems to keep white clover looking tidy.
On 5/20/10 3:57 PM, Frank McElrath wrote:

If it's truly clover and not oxalis, try using a paring knife to cut the root just below the soil and lift the plant. The remaining roots contain nitrogen nodules that will nourish your lawn.
If it's oxalis or if you are really insistent on killing the clover, use a lawn food with weed killer instead of spraying.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

What's a clover problem? I have no clover problem, the deer and Canada geese think it's gourmet vittles... not to mention the bees.