climbing roses wedding arch in australia

in three months there will be a wedding in my garden. i'd like to have a floral arch of some sort, and someone has suggested a climbing rose, as it grows fast and flowers all through summer/early autumn.

does anyone have any advice regarding this idea? i'd love to make a real arch rather than a fake one, so i'm considering buying climbing roses now and hoping they'll grow around an arch if i provide one!

am i dreaming, or is this a possibility?

thank you, garden people :)

Reply to
jils

You need two roses, one at each base of the arch. Unless you have established climbers that are already sufficiently long and have bloomed in the previous season, you are too late. To cover an arch under which the bridal couple can walk can take 2-3 years.

Reply to
David Ross

Reply to
presley

thanks david. i did think of the two plants, one at each base, that part hadn't escaped me!!!

by the way, i just looked over your web pages. love the pages on apostrophes, proofreading, etc. nicely written!

David Ross wrote: > You need two roses, one at each base of the arch. Unless you have

Reply to
jils

Are you from Australia? Try aus.gardens, someone there might be able to think of a plant suited to Oz climate.

Jen

Reply to
Jen

I have an arch of climbing roses, which is lovely but took at least two years to get to the point where it started looking good. I have another with clematis, but that also took quite a while to establish. On the other hand, I grow some vegetables on vines and they grow very quickly, but I don't see pumpkins or squash as being appropriate.

I would suggest you look for some annual v> in three months there will be a wedding in my garden. i'd like to have a

Reply to
William Brown

thanks everyone for input. trying aus.gardens now, missed that one in my search!

and thank you william for the giggle.

William Brown wrote:

Reply to
jils