climbing roses wedding arch in australia

in three months there will be a wedding in my garden. i'd like to have a floral arch of some sort, and someone has suggested a climbing rose, as it grows fast and flowers all through summer/early autumn.
does anyone have any advice regarding this idea? i'd love to make a real arch rather than a fake one, so i'm considering buying climbing roses now and hoping they'll grow around an arch if i provide one!
am i dreaming, or is this a possibility?
thank you, garden people :)
jils wrote:

You need two roses, one at each base of the arch. Unless you have established climbers that are already sufficiently long and have bloomed in the previous season, you are too late. To cover an arch under which the bridal couple can walk can take 2-3 years.
--

David E. Ross
<URL:http://www.rossde.com/

I think you'd be better off (more sure of success), with some sort of tropical vine, often grown as annuals in cooler climates, that would take off and grow several feet in one season. If it's a morning wedding, you could grow morning glories, for instance. In 3 months, if the weather's warm, they can grow 12 feet or more. You could also grow scarlet runner beans - they will climb 8 feet or so after 3 months. Hyacinth bean and asarina are other possibilities of this type which will grow 10-15 feet under the right conditions. Mandevilla can be spectacular if it's warm enough. On the other hand, if your climate is cool enough, you could even grow sweet pea vines for this purpose.

Are you from Australia? Try aus.gardens, someone there might be able to think of a plant suited to Oz climate.
Jen
I have an arch of climbing roses, which is lovely but took at least two years to get to the point where it started looking good. I have another with clematis, but that also took quite a while to establish. On the other hand, I grow some vegetables on vines and they grow very quickly, but I don't see pumpkins or squash as being appropriate.
I would suggest you look for some annual vining flower that will grow quickly in your area, and be in bloom at the proper time, although I think if you had a nice arch of foliage, it would be fairly easy to wire in almost any flower for the day of the ceremony, even roses. My daughter in law had flowers braided into her hair for her wedding; they looked really nice but I'm almost certain she didn't grow them there.
jils wrote:

thanks everyone for input. trying aus.gardens now, missed that one in my search!
and thank you william for the giggle.