Climbing plants support

I have just bought a clematis, jasmine, honeysuckle and a wisteria and I am about to plant them to grow up our fence. Do I have to have a trellis? It seems a bit expense and wonder if there is anything cheaper that will suffice, such as a type of netting or something? I have no experience at all of gardening and thought this might be a good place to get advice.

Thanks in anticipation

Julie

Reply to
Julie Thomas

You are likely to pull down your fence depending on how well it is built. Have a look at mature versions of the climbers that you are growing and then picture how your fence will hold the weight when they are that big. Consider the consequences if this is a boundary fence, what will your neighbour think? Netting (or string) will do to train the young plants but it will not hold the weight of mature plants.

It is good to plan these things and cost them out before you buy the plants. Buying first and then wondering what to do with them can be a waste of money.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I've never grown Jasmine, but the wisteria is definitely a fence crusher.

That seems like a lot of vines.

The clematis could easily take 5 feet of horizontal area. Honeysuckles are bigger, maybe 10 feet.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I don't know about clematis.

Honeysuckle or true jasmine might be okay on a very sturdy fence. If the fence is open-work -- not planks or otherwise solid -- it should provide sufficient support by itself. It is merely necessary for the vines to twine themselves through the fence. If the fence is solid, securely fasten a length of 2"x2" (5cmx5cm) horizontally near the top; hang poultry mesh (chicken wire) from that, using heavy wire staples (the kind you drive with a hammer, not from an office stapler). Train the vines to grow on the mesh.

Wisteria requires a very well-engineered support. It will destroy your fence. Even a trellis would likely not be sufficiently strong. I know of wisteria vines that were planted about 11 years ago. The main growth is now about 3" (7.6cm) in diameter, with side shoots over 1" (2.5cm) in diameter.

Reply to
David E. Ross

David E. Ross wrote: ...

we have several different types and some are much more aggressive than others so it really helps to know what you are buying for these so you can provide adequate space/trellis support. we have one which is a late summer white bloomer with many small flowers. it easily tops the 8ft trellis. deer will eat it in the winter if they get hungry enough so that can trim it back, but it will regrow each season.

songbird

Reply to
songbird