Clements Landscape Construction

Dear readers,
I wanted to relate my poor experience with a particular landscape construction company located in Alta Loma, CA (Lic# C775851) called Clements Landscape Construction. Initially, the wife (Laura) gladly picked up a copy of our plan so that her husband could do an estimate.
To keep the story somewhat short, the company never followed through with an estimate, in spite of three phone conversations with promises to schedule a follow-up appointment to go over the numbers. Additionally, four voice messages were left to remind them of this when days had passed with no response--not even a phone call.
So, weeks later, we finally left another voice message for the company to either call back or mail our plan back to us. Of course, another week passed and nothing happened. I made a final call today and was able to speak to the wife in person--she was not very helpful and even had the gall to say she "did not need to be told twice" about returning the plan. Funny thing was, we had already left multiple messages and had verbal promises to schedule a meeting for an estimate.
Anyways, she said she would come by later this evening to drop off the plan. But it is already passed the stated time she promised. So again, the company blew us off and kept our landscaping plan.
I am very displeased with this company and wanted to warn potential customers to look elsewhere for landscaping construction work, because you will probably have a hard time even getting an estimate!
I don't know whether it's because the real estate market is so hot right now that these landscape construction folks are able to provide such poor service and think they can get away with it.
If you've had a similar experience, I would also like to learn about it. Am I alone in this?
Thanks for your time to read this post.
John
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

So you lost a copy of your plan. Move on.

USDA Zone 8

What you have experienced isn't unique to that company or to your region. I have had several instances where I needed work done and haven't been able to find anyone. Recently my mother decided to have a considerable amount of cement work done - replace to porches, several sections of driveway, and replace a sidewalk. I called six contractors from ads I found in the phone book and newspaper. A couple had secretaries who took a message. A couple had answering machines. A couple didn't answer. Of the four who took messages, not a single contractor returned the call. I had a similar experience after a small fire when I needed extensive painting and some kitchen remodeling. I had the same sort of issue when I decided to replace the furnace and AC. For that reason, I try to do everything that I can myself. Even in cases where I did get some help, the workmanship was average to poor. I find that trades people spend about half their time on the cell phone these days - mostly talking to their spouse and kids or chatting about where everyone is going for lunch that day.

Having just had a new house built, I can attest to the fact that any trade associated with homebuilding is too fat! Due to the housing boom, they all have more work than they can do. Consequently, maintaining good customer relations and providing quality work is nonexistent. TomC

phone
couple
replace
on